Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

What do you guys think of this hay wheel? I think I'll be returning it.

Raine Summerfly

Cavy Slave
I had heard stories about guinea pigs sometimes getting stuck in hay racks that have bars that are too wide so I decided to get this hay ball thing:

Amazon.com: Super Pet Rabbit Rollin' The Hay Holder: Kitchen & Dining

The wires are close enough together and I hung it on the side of the cage.

The problem I had though is that, well I only recently got my guinea pigs and they are not used to me yet and when I tried to catch them so I could clean their cage they freaked out and one of them tried to climb up between the hay wheel and the side of the cage.

I feel like this is potentially dangerous and that she could have become stuck between the ball and the side of the cage or got herself hurt in some other way(like one of her feet getting caught on something when she did that). Luckily she is fine. I don't think she would have been able to do that if the hay wheel was higher...but then it would have been too high for them to get hay out of it which defeats the purpose.

I removed it from the cage immediately after she attempted that and I feel like I should probably return it.

What do you guys think of this hay wheel? Does anyone here use it? I want to know for advice about this.

And in general are hay racks a good idea? Perhaps you guys can tell me which ones are best if you do use them.

I have heard they piggies have gotten their heads stuck in it and have gotten broken teeth from it. I used to use it and had no problems but I removed it just to be safe.

I have heard they piggies have gotten their heads stuck in it and have gotten broken teeth from it. I used to use it and had no problems but I removed it just to be safe.

Thanks for the info. I'll for sure be bringing it back then.

Is it okay to just put the hay on the floor of the cage?

Yes you can put hay on the floor of the cage. A lot of piggies love to burrow in it just make sure you change it often as it will get dirty.

Those hay wheels are often more dangerous than a regular type of hay rack. Pigs have gotten stuck inside of them, gotten feet/paws stuck in the wires and have gotten hurt and the wiring on them being so close together makes it pretty hard to get the hay out so the pigs don't eat nearly enough.

I've used many things to hold hay. I have used wire buckets, bent grids, cardboard boxes, wire under the shelf things (can't think of what they are actually called at the moment), plastic containers, baskets - these are just a few things I've tried.

I actually have two different things for my girls and boys. The boys love to burrow and play in the hay without soiling it too badly. They eat a ton of hay and I fill a small cat litter box ($1 @ Wally World) with bedding and hay on top.

The ladies on the other hand used to sit on top of the hay and pee and poop on it so fast, there was never any fresh hay to eat. I made a hanging rack out of one of the cube wires and the ladies love that. They now have great fresh hay all the time and love to hide under the rack.

Currently I have Tulip's hay in her kitchen/litter pan. She loves to get in it. I even saw her laying in it this evening. I just put it on top of the litter. I'm making a small addition to her cage for her kitchen area and plan on putting a couple of hay racks in.

I rescued a guinea pig how got stuck in one of those hay wheels at a Petco last year. He got inside of it some how. When I showed the working she got the ball out and I worked on it for a few minutes before I got him out. He was pretty scared, but otherwise ok.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.