Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Building a divided cage w/2 stories, advice!

peanut74

Cavy Slave
My friend and I are going to build her a divided cage, preferably 3x4, with a 2nd story for each piggy. They are 2 females, but 1 is not too nice to the new one, so are going to divide the cage. Anyone have pictures of something similar to use as a guide? Any experience of having a not so nice pig in this setup? Thanks!

lissie

Cavy Slave
There are many pictures of divided cages in the gallery.

What do you mean not so nice? If they are not drawing blood, leave them to work out their dominance. Was the intro done on neutral area and the cage completely cleaned out?

What is the size of the current cage? How many hideys, food bowls, and water bottles in the cage? Do the hideys have multiple entrance/exits so the pigs don't get trapped?

peanut74

Cavy Slave
I saw only 1 story divided cages, but for some reason can't view the open 2 story gallery, and didn't see any 3x4's. Her original sow is 2 years old and has always been alone, and she recently took one of my babies(a female). We introduced them in a huge neutral play area, and they did fine. The next day though, the older sow rushed and nipped at the younger one, but no blood was drawn. My friend got worried and hasn't put them together since. What is the proper way to put them together? Is there hope? Of course her hopes were for them to be together, but is willing to separate if it isn't possible. I have tried to get her to get a 3rd to be a pal for the baby, but she just wants 2.

Sirene

Cavy Slave
Pretty much everything you need to know about introductions is here:

Guinea Pigs Social Life

(scroll about halfway down the page for the Introductions section).

Your friend needs not to separate the two once they have been put in a cage together unless there is blood drawn. If there is only nipping, rumblestrutting, mounting, etc, they are just trying to work out their dominance issues. This is all normal. Separating them and re-introducing them causes stress on them.

peanut74

Cavy Slave
I guess during the initial intro the older female bit the baby's ear really hard. The baby is very calm and laid back, but the older female is very territorial! I passed along the link to my friend and I'm hoping it works out!

Pretty much everything you need to know about introductions is here:

Guinea Pigs Social Life

(scroll about halfway down the page for the Introductions section).

Your friend needs not to separate the two once they have been put in a cage together unless there is blood drawn. If there is only nipping, rumblestrutting, mounting, etc, they are just trying to work out their dominance issues. This is all normal. Separating them and re-introducing them causes stress on them.

brindyzoeycandy

Cavy Slave
It sounds like that they are more likely working out dominance issues. There is no blood being drawn, and you are not mentioning anything too serious. I personally wouldn't seperate them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.