Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

PVC ramp

GuineaGuy521

Cavy Slave
I just built my first C&C cage - its a 2x4 with a 1x2 hayloft.

Right now, they piggies can't access the hayloft because I'm unhappy with the ramp I built, so I took it out.

I'm thinking about using a piece of PVC piping as a tunnel/ramp. I think I can find something with a large enough diameter at Lowe's or Home Depot. I can secure the pipe to the cubes by drilling small holes in the PVC and zip tying it to the hayloft.

Is this a safe idea? Any suggestions for what diameter two boars would need? I don't want them getting stuck.

Other ramp ideas are welcome. I got this idea from a piece of PVC I found in the basement, but the diameter wasn't big enough.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I had the same problem you did. I bought a 4" with holes on the top but they couldn't stand up to get traction. I have a piece of 5" pipe that I put in there for them to walk through and that even seemed it would be too narrow. I can't find 6" anywhere but I think that would be the best size. Since the inside of the pipe is smooth and it's on an incline, they might not get traction. I noticed someone was using outdoor black plastic corrifluted pipe and I asked some questions about it, but didn't see a response. My concern with that type is that urine and droppings would get caught in the ridges or that they could catch a toe or nail in them. I'd be interested in finding a place that carries 6".

GuineaGuy521

Cavy Slave
I was wrong about Home Depot and Lowe's carrying 6" pipe. I was told I could get it at a plumbing store.

I am concerned about them having enough traction to get up the pipe, but I think I can solve that problem using bath decals or maybe a product used to create traction on outdoor stairs - its a sandpaper-like material that has a stick side. Alternatively, I was thinking of using a long narrow piece of fleece for traction.

I did think of using the flexible dryer exhaust tubing (or something similar in plastic as you suggested). Maybe that could be a back up.

I got the coroplast for my cage yesterday - so the basics are complete, now I just get to furnish the whole deal :D

GPigsRSweet

Cavy Slave
Other ramp ideas are welcome.

This is my ramp. It's just 2 bent grids zip-tied together with a piece of coroplast on top. Then of course I put either fleece or towel on top. This goes in my 2x4 cage and connects to my 1x2 loft. Very stable - works great!

The whole cage - you can see how the ramp works:

GuineaGuy521

Cavy Slave
This is my ramp. It's just 2 bent grids zip-tied together with a piece of coroplast on top. Then of course I put either fleece or towel on top. This goes in my 2x4 cage and connects to my 1x2 loft. Very stable - works great!

Thanks for the pictures. I don't have enough grids left over to make that kind of ramp - I only have one :weepy: I think that I might be able to use that one to create the top portion of the ramp and a piece of wood the rest of the way down - If I want to go with the cheapest route possible since I have the necessary supplies.

I'm thinking of using triple coroplast to make the ramp too, but I want it to have sides.

One other safety related question - I see your hay loft is 9/10th of the way closed with the two grids on front. Is that 100% neccessary? You have two grids enclosing the front, but I only have one. Otherwise my set up is nearly identical to yours.

Thanks again for the suggestions!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Take a piece of 6" diameter pvc pipe and cut it to about a 2 1/2 to 3 foot length. Then take that piece and cut entirely in half lengthwise. You will end up with a half round piece. Drill 2 small holes in one end. Sand the edges. Cut a piece of fleece to cover the inside portion, attach the fleece to pvc with binder clips. Take pipe cleaners and attach ramp to upper loft.

You've got yourself an easy, safe DIY ramp that doesn't take up much space as far as width. I've used these ramps myself and like them better than any other ramp I have made.

GuineaGuy521

Cavy Slave
Take a piece of 6" diameter pvc pipe and cut it to about a 2 1/2 to 3 foot length. Then take that piece and cut entirely in half lengthwise. You will end up with a half round piece. Drill 2 small holes in one end. Sand the edges. Cut a piece of fleece to cover the inside portion, attach the fleece to pvc with binder clips. Take pipe cleaners and attach ramp to upper loft.

You've got yourself an easy, safe DIY ramp that doesn't take up much space as far as width. I've used these ramps myself and like them better than any other ramp I have made.

Thanks! That does seem easy enough. I hadn't considered cutting it in half lengthwise - but that cuts out the possibility of a portly piggie from getting stuck!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I have some old cage pictures in the galleries and some do have photos of the ramp in them.

Yes it does prevent pigs from getting stuck and it has a little bit of a side to it so that pigs feel comfortable going up and down.

GuineaGuy521

Cavy Slave
I have some old cage pictures in the galleries and some do have photos of the ramp in them.

I was looking through the ramp galleries and didn't see what you were speaking of - but I wasn't looking for that specifically. I'll go back and recheck. Thanks again :cheerful:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.