Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Eyes/Non-crusty Nystagmus aka eye darting

Porky's Mom

Cavy Slave
We were holding our 5 1/2 year old female Beanie last night and noticed that her eyes were darting back and forth rapidly like she was repeatedly scanning the room. She is a pretty high strung pig so I thought maybe she was just freaked out but she continued doing this when we put her back in her house. I read that this can be a vestibular/inner ear problem. She has had an ear infection before - as diagnosed by the vet per her head tilt and the fact that she got better with medication (ear drops). This was last year. She hasn't lost weight and is still eating/drinking/pooping/peeing fine. She has been a little snippy with the other pigs lately and I thought it was just because she is getting older but I'm wondering if she doesn't feel good. No head tilt now just this nystagmus. She doesn't do it all the time (I watched her like a hawk this morning) but still did it occasionally. She seems to be seeing okay as she is not running into things.

I am a pessimist by nature and now that she is old I assume everything that is wrong with her is horrible and fatal. She had a lump last year and ended up having surgery to remove a (benign) mammary tumor and recovered very well. I have just never noticed her doing this before and I am scared to death she has a brain tumor or is having seizures without physical symptoms. My fiance is going to call the vet today and see if they can get her in soon but in the mean time I am wondering if anyone has had any similar experiences or if this sounds familiar. Couldn't find anything on GuineaLynx about this other than maybe a vestibular issue.

Input would be very much appreciated! And prayers for Miss Beanie as she is a very sweet, sensitive pig.

Is it true nystagmus? In humans it's pretty fast and is sometimes caused by certain drug use. It's usually more of a shaking and not a darting.

Ooh ok well then it might not be nystagmus. It's not really fast at all it's like she's constantly scanning the room from left to right with both eyes. Not twitchy or anything but constant and steady scanning and we've never noticed her doing it before and none of the other pigs do it.

I just remembered the term from school and thought that was what she was doing. It's not a wiggly thing but a slower steady thing.

I just looked at wikipedia (granted not the best source of info) and the picture of the eyeball looks like what she's doing: repeatedly scanning from side to side.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Maybe she was looking around. Was there a lot of action going on in the room?

She's still doing it, per my fiance. We go to the vet this afternoon. I dearly hope I am spazzing about nothing!

Well good luck. I hope it's nothing.

Vet (our new vet - not the most cavy savvy vet but we could get in to him today and will go to cavy savvy vet on Saturday) wasn't sure what was going on. He said it was nystagmus but he was poking and prodding her and she got so freaked out she just bugged her eyes out and he couldn't see her doing it any longer. He did a physical check and that went ok. He confirmed that the most likely cause is middle/inner ear infection but she didn't have any other symptoms (head tilt, discharge, etc). Give my fiance two 22.7mg Baytril tabs with instructions to mix with 8ml water and give to her 1ml/twice daily if her symptoms don't improve in 2-3 days. Said brain tumors are very rare in guinea pigs but something going on behind the eye is possible. He didn't say what to do if it didn't go away.

Not sure if I will go ahead and give her the Baytril in a couple days or wait til I see my cavy savvy vet on Saturday morning. I don't want to dr hop but I wanted her to be seen today. Our old vet (before we moved) just sees a lot more piggies and is more well-versed in them. She did Beanie's surgery and has seen her for an ear infection once before. So I will see her Saturday and share the other vet's findings with her and see what she says.

I will keep updating on what's up. More input would be appreciated!

I'd go ahead and start with the Baytril. If it is an inner ear infection, the sooner treatment begins the better.

We have the Baytril but she's not doing the eye thing all the time now so I'm torn: do I treat in case it gets worse to prevent her from getting really sick or do I not treat til I can see problems again so she doesn't have to be on medicine unnecessarily? I want to do what's best and safest for her.

I have no idea, but I wish your piggie the best recovery.

It does sounds like middle ear infection, rolling eyes are common to start off with in these situations, I would do the baytril

How is she doing?

That's a very low baytril dose you were given. I wonder if it's even capable of doing anything.

Generally a middle ear infection will cause dizziness. She may have nystagmus from trying to make sense out of the spinning world. Meclizine can help with dizziness.

Sorry for not updating. Went to our cavy savvy vet and she doubled the dose of Baytril and gave her some Otomax ear drops. Said it is likely either a central or peripheral nervous system issue. She is treating for peripheral (inner/middle ear) issues because the other is not treatable. If it's central nervous system, it is something wrong with her brain (tumor or something) and incurable. Her symptoms went away but if it's a central problem they will come back and get worse and worse and ultimately probably be fatal. I really really hope it is an ear infection but I have just been heartbroken for the last week. I love my Beanie pig and I don't want to lose her. : ( She is taking the Baytril right now. She is acting just fine - only noticed the nystagmus April 27 and early April 28. She isn't as snipping with her friends and she does not enjoy her ear drops so I dearly hope it's just an ear infection and it is getting better.

Please keep Beanie in your prayers.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.