Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Alternatives Plastic Storage Tub Cages

GuineaMom

Cavy Slave
My friend is getting a pair of Guinea Pigs in two weeks. She is planning to make the cage out of a giant storage tub. She said she would drill holes in it for air and not put a lid on because it has high sides.

Would this be suitable for her to use, or should I advise her to use something else? She can't find any local place that has Coroplast, and does not feel comfortable ordering off the internet, so a C&C cage wouldn't work for her.

Are there any alternatives?

No its not suitable in any way.

Aside from the limited space it would offer, drilling holes would not give enough ventilation.

It really wouldn't. Even the largest storage bins aren't big enough and I can't imagine one allowing decent ventilation even with holes drilled in it.

If she can't find coroplast, there are alternatives I'm sure she could find - like a shower curtain or a tarp.

A little creativity is all she needs to make a great (and appropriately sized) cage.

No, it is not. Poor ventilation which increases the risk for respiratory issues and too small.

Okay, I will tell her about the poor ventilation and lack of space. I'll try and help her find an alternative to coroplast.

Was she able to find grids? She can use vinyl floor, plastic table cloth, tarp, or shower curtain to line the floor. Then top with towel, mattress pads and fleece.

We have a store that sells grids near us.

I have a shower curtain I just bought that she can have... I will help her make the cage in a few days. Thank you all for your help!!

I am working on a bin cage for my hammy. I bought the biggest tub I could find at Target, and it was 18 inches by 36 inches. This is only 4.5 sq. feet is not big enough for a piggy. If she can find one that is at least 7 sq. feet (though I think mine might be the biggest out there), I could see it working (with major venilation changes).

I don't use coroplast because of the cost and the fact that I havn't bothered to look for a sheet. = D I use a shower curtain that I got from a dollar store and it works fine. Plus, if I ever upgrade the cage, I can buy another cheap curtain instead of a new, expensive peice of coroplast.

Hope this helps!!!

If she can find one that is at least 7 sq. feet (though I think mine might be the biggest out there), I could see it working (with major venilation changes).
Bins/totes are not adequate even if she could find one the correct size.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.