Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Coroplast Is this a good price?

Piglett

Cavy Slave
Hi all. I finally found a sign shop and found that signarama sells 48"x96" coroplast sheets for 22.50. I want to know if this is a good price to make the cage I will post below? I think I'll need 2 sheets, and want to know how would I go about telling them how to cut the top box since I want it in that L shape. 2 boxes up there would be fine because I plan on making a 2x1 kitchen. So I guess I would need a box that is 2x3 that is L shaped and a 2x1 box?

Any suggestion on easiest way to get them to cut it right would be helpful. My kitchen would be in the section on the far right.

New Cage - Guinea Pig Cage Photos

Last edited:

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
Yeah I think that is a pretty good price... I buy my coroplast for $8 and its 48"x48". I wish I could find bigger...I'll probably price check it if and when I decide to redo my coroplast. Its in so many pieces from redoing my cage 7 times this year! lol

pinky

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure where you are located, but the Sign Store Outlet, which is a chain, had it for $8.99 for 48" x 96". I bought two sheets a couple of weeks ago. I bought mine in the Chicago area.

Cogni

Cavy Slave
Here a 4'x8' sheet is $10 in a sign shop.

utsarah

Cavy Slave
I paid about half that. I got mine at a local sign shop for 10.70 including tax. (4' x 8' sheet).

PiggyKat

Cavy Slave
Ok I have a dumb question when you clean your cage do you have to take it apart?(I'm asking because I like this idea!)

Piglett

Cavy Slave
PiggyKat- No you don't have to take it apart. However you do need to create doors on it that allow you access to the cage. This is necessary for feeding and interacting with your piggies. Although I haven't decided how I want to hinge the bottom layer. It will be on a stand so I won't have to stoop. The top will open up in two different pieces probably.

Everyone else- I live in Raleigh NC area. And just finding a place that knew what I was talking about was hard enough (Lowes and Home Depot were clueless). If anyone has purchased coro in my area for a cheaper price, someone please let me know. Any suggestions on how to do the lids?

lissie

Cavy Slave
Have you seen this page? I got a sheet of 48"x96" for $10 from a branch near me. There's one near you.
(broken link removed)

LauraBean

Cavy Slave
I'm right outside of High Point, and I've always had luck at the Mom and Pop sign shops. A lot of the time they'll have large scraps that they'll sell you very cheaply or even give you for free

GrnMtmom

Cavy Slave
I live in a rural area. I do have some local sign shops near me but they weren't very helpful. Both places, the person I talked to was clueless, and the person I needed to talk to wasn't there. One took my number and I never heard from them. The other place, the person was out of town for a week. I am impatient and didn't want to wait. Both Lowe's and Home Depot, were clueless. I happened to be by another Home Depot (different location) and went in. Again, people were clueless but someone was kind enough to ask someone else, who did know that they did indeed have coroplast. It was hidden...very back of the store, probably 3/4 of the way down. It was in with the Plexiglass (laying flat, so it wasn't easy to see). So, in my opinion, it is worth looking for. Now, the coroplast I found was in smaller sheets (36x24) and all they had was white, but I bought 4 sheets and used clear packing tape to tape them together. I have had my cage for about a month now and have had no problems with how I did it. It was easier to transport too because I have a small car. It was about $5/sheet where I bought it (Home Depot in West Lebanon, NH).

Hope that helps.

pinky

Cavy Slave
I live in a rural area. I do have some local sign shops near me but they weren't very helpful. Both places, the person I talked to was clueless, and the person I needed to talk to wasn't there. One took my number and I never heard from them. The other place, the person was out of town for a week. I am impatient and didn't want to wait. Both Lowe's and Home Depot, were clueless. I happened to be by another Home Depot (different location) and went in. Again, people were clueless but someone was kind enough to ask someone else, who did know that they did indeed have coroplast. It was hidden...very back of the store, probably 3/4 of the way down. It was in with the Plexiglass (laying flat, so it wasn't easy to see). So, in my opinion, it is worth looking for. Now, the coroplast I found was in smaller sheets (36x24) and all they had was white, but I bought 4 sheets and used clear packing tape to tape them together. I have had my cage for about a month now and have had no problems with how I did it. It was easier to transport too because I have a small car. It was about $5/sheet where I bought it (Home Depot in West Lebanon, NH).

Hope that helps.

Tell them you're looking for corrugated plastic. Sometimes people don't know what coroplast means.

pinky

Cavy Slave
Ok I have a dumb question when you clean your cage do you have to take it apart?(I'm asking because I like this idea!)

I made fleece pads for my cage so that I have two separate pieces that fit the inside. I don't even have to take out my pigs when I clean the cage. They usually go into the kitchen area. I can actually take out one section at a time and step right into the cage if I have to reach into a far corner. It's fast and easy.

GrnMtmom

Cavy Slave
Tell them you're looking for corrugated plastic. Sometimes people don't know what coroplast means.

Yes, every place I asked didn't seem to know what coroplast was, so I explained it was corrugated plastic. Like corrugated cardboard but plastic. Everyone asked me why I wanted it. lol

Piglett

Cavy Slave
I found a quote for 20.00 per sheet. Can anyone tell me if they got the grids cheaper than 24.99 recently. Because I haven't been so lucky.

LauraBean

Cavy Slave
They have grids at some Bed Bath and Beyond for $14.99. And they're silver! Silver matches everything! haha.
(broken link removed)
Some of their stores have them in stock too.

Piglett

Cavy Slave
Okay signarama is being crazy. The want to charge me 19.00 for the 4x8 sheet but 65.00 just to cut and score it!!! NO way, I said I'd cut it myself. I can go to home depot and get it cut almost for free. Oh I forgot to mention I wanted black grids. Thanks LauraBean I saw that online, but my base is going to be black and I like everything uniform in color.

Last edited:

lissie

Cavy Slave
When you choose the color grids, becareful of the unsafe ones. The ones from BB&B are safe 9x9 grids.

JenKY

Cavy Slave

pigsforlife

Cavy Slave
I got 2, 48" x 96" sheets for $26, so they were $13 each. He cut them to fit into my car as well for free. I have been to places where they have charged you crazy amounts like $5 a cut.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.