Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New to forum and pigs

jaco486

Cavy Slave
Hi, I am new to the pig world and I have to say, this site helped me out. I just have to master the sounds of my sows.

I have two sows, one is about 8 months old, Chleo, she is all black with crazy hair, I can not remember the name of that kind and the other is about 9 weeks old, Carmela, she is brown and tan with really soft fur and she is really the chatter box. Once I get some better pictures I will show the world my new babies.

Oh and this is not a bad thing at all, but I finally ordered a C&C cause of this site. My husband did not want me to do it cause his childhood memories of pigs was that they were fine in a small cage but the cage that we have for them even to my opion is to small.

PiggieJewel

Cavy Slave
Your husband might be very surprised when he sees how much HAPPIER piggies are when they have a suitable size cage! For two girls, the cage should be a minimum of 2 X 4 grids. When piggies are in a small cage, they just sort of "are there." They can't run around, they can't popcorn, they can't really have fun. I'm glad you insisted on getting a C&C cage!

Fredo_and_co

Cavy Slave
I love my C & C cage... my dad is forever complaining the pigs have too much room but they really do appreciate it, and live in the lap of luxury!! :D!

utsarah

Cavy Slave
We are going to rearrange our living room for our C&C cage. I have my cockatiel in a cage for a much larger bird. I figure if you're going to have an animal get them the best.

Molly75

Cavy Slave
All I can say is to make sure your husband is there when you first put your piggies into the new cage because he needs to see how happy it makes them :) You might even want to have the video recorder out because it's so cute! My first piggie was in a small, regular cage for the first few months. Then she started biting us and really seemed off. After reading this site for a while, I came to the conclusion that she needed a friend AND she needed a large cage. I really had to sell both these ideas to my husband, but thankfully he trusts my instincts and knowledge. But he still was skeptical ;) We made the cage ourselves. We found the cubes at Bed, Bath and Beyond and called tons of local sign stores until we found one who could sell us the coroplast in a large sheet. The cubes cost us about $30 and the coroplast was only $10 for a HUGE sheet to fit a 2x4 c&c cage. So that's $40 to build our own 2x4 c&c cage. Ok, so my husband shops around with me AND he built the darn thing. What a sport. Not only that, but he agreed to buy 2 piggy bedspreads on-line when I told him that one piggy bedspread cost the same at 6 bags of Carefresh, which we go through in one month. So basically, after 2 months the piggy bedspreads will have paid for themselves. And in ALL honesty, he immediately saw how happy her new friend and new cage made her and she's a new piggy! This was just 5 weeks ago too :) The cage is in our family room where they can be a part of our family all the time, which also makes them extremely happy.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.