Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy Is she pregnant?

Jazlyn

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
I have an approx. 3 month old female piggie who we got when she was about 6 weeks old at a pet store.
They had her housed with a male so i'm thinking now she may be pregnant. i didn't think she was when we got her cause she didn't look like she was but now she is starting to.
Tell me what you think?

To me she kind of does, but it's really hard to be able to tell from pictures, Have you felt any movements or an lumps in her tummy?

No, not yet. But her tummy is REALLY round.

The only way to tell is you are going to have to wait. I found out, because my boyfriend said he felt them, but I didn't. The way I knew for sure is I saw them kicking and when you see then kick you have about 2 weeks give or take a few days.

The only way to tell is you are going to have to wait.

That's definitely not the only way. You can take her to an exotics vet, and they can do an ultrasound or x ray. Then you will know for sure.

Even if you don't take her to the vet, make sure you have a competent exotics vet lined up and know what to do in case of an after hours emergency. Complications including death are very common in guinea pigs. Since she was housed with a male, there is a very high chance she is pregnant. You should weigh her every week (this goes for all pigs) and make sure she is getting extra calcium in her diet either through alfalfa pellets, alfalfa hay, or certain veggies.

Ultrasound yes, but x-ray no. I was going to take mine to the vet and do an x-ray, but the day I was suppose to go in the vet call me herself and said that there was no need to come in an x-ray would only tell you if she was pregnant if she was close to the end of the pregnancy. Just wait it out don't waste the money.

Thanks guys!
I have been weighing her weekly..she's been gaining about 100g a week.

X-rays are not good for any pregnant female--animal or human.
I would go to a vet if you feel there is any medical problem with the piggie, and/or you just want her checked out to make sure there is some hope of a healthy delivery.
If you don't have her checked out, I would plan for a birth just in case. I think if it were my pet I'd want to go to the vet and be sure one way or the other, because expectant mothers require some special care and feeding.

Anyone know how much it would cost to take her & see if she is?

The cost really varies around the country. A visit with our vet was about $35.00. She should have a check up with a cavy savy vet anyway just to make sure she is healthy.

The cost really varies around the country. A visit with our vet was about $35.00. She should have a check up with a cavy savy vet anyway just to make sure she is healthy.

I was quoted from $30.00 to $75.00 (depending on the office) for an initial visit. This didn't include anything beyond a checkup so I would assume ultrasounds and x-rays would add to that cost.

Make sure you check their reviews before you go. Supposedly the most qualified vet in my area according to their ads is also a place where you would have to pry my pet out of my cold dead fingers to get treated there. They actually google treatments in front of you which, I guess isn't THAT scary depending on why, but when they look at something that is a small gum infection and based off google images tell you your cat is allergic to its teeth and needs surgery to remove them asap, that strikes some alarm in my eyes. Especially when a second opinion proves it was, in fact, a very small gum infection.

Sorry, off topic rant... But yeah make sure you read reviews online about the office! :)

I was quoted from $30.00 to $75.00 (depending on the office) for an initial visit. This didn't include anything beyond a checkup so I would assume ultrasounds and x-rays would add to that cost.

Make sure you check their reviews before you go. Supposedly the most qualified vet in my area according to their ads is also a place where you would have to pry my pet out of my cold dead fingers to get treated there. They actually google treatments in front of you which, I guess isn't THAT scary depending on why, but when they look at something that is a small gum infection and based off google images tell you your cat is allergic to its teeth and needs surgery to remove them asap, that strikes some alarm in my eyes. Especially when a second opinion proves it was, in fact, a very small gum infection.

Sorry, off topic rant... But yeah make sure you read reviews online about the office! :)

Thank you! :) I will definitely do that!

Ultrasound is okay, but an x ray would harm the babies especially if it was closer to the end of the pregnancy.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.