Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy I think she pregnant?

F34RLESS

Cavy Slave
Hope someone can help me with my guinea pig, as im new to this. Not sure if she pregnant, what else i need to do if she is. Do i need to separate her from the male? I realise her tummy is getting bigger and now she hardly run around now. Always stay in one spot. Here are the picture below :~

CIMG3220.jpg

CIMG3221.jpg

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Your piggie does look pregnant. Is there a reason she is housed with a male? They should be seperated as soon as possible. If she is not pregnant you do not want her getting pregnant. If she is already pregnant, she will be bred shortly after she gives birth, which is not healthy for her. Plus if she gives birth to any males, they will need to be removed at 3 weeks or they will breed to the mother and any sisters.

I see that you are new and may not know that this site is a no breeding, pro-rescue site. It does have the very best infor you will ever need on the care of your pigs. I myself have never had any babies so I cannot help you there. There are many threads that deal with pregnancies and guinealynx is a great medical site for GP's.
Please take the time to read what this great site is all about. Learning why you should not be breeding your pigs and why adoption is so important. Plus how to have the happiest piggie ever.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Why are you housing her with a male?

Are you intentionally breeding?

She does look very pregnant. If you keep her with the male while she gives birth, you will backbreed her and make it a higher risk she will die. Please read Breeding Guinea Pigs
https://www.guinealynx.info/breeding.html

Plus they can carry two litters at once. You need to remove the male so he doesn't impregnate her again.

How big is your cage? Do you have a good vet lined up? If she has problems giving birth, an er vet visit can be quite costly.

Pregnant sows need room to run around to prevent toxemia. If she is too quiet, she may already have it.

She looks too young too. Poor baby.

F34RLESS

Cavy Slave
Mmmm... yeh i have separate her from the male. Was not intentionally breed her. I think she about 3-4 months old only. I just hope she be alright because now she very quiet and dont moved much, always stay in one spot.

F34RLESS

Cavy Slave
I have speaprate her from the male, im not a breeder. So not sure what to do. I think she about 3 months-4 months old. She being eating alot past few weeks but now she doesnt eat and drink much anymore. Is that normal for her?

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
It's not normal for a cavy to stop or reduce eating. You need to get her to a cavy savvy vet.

coojoe135

Cavy Slave
Considering my piggy just gave birth today, she looks a few weeks pregnant. If you want to know for sure I siggest going to the vet. Thats how I figured out. Mine gave birth to 2 little babies. I am so excited! I hope this helped.

MummaHeidi

Cavy Slave
I also think I have a pregnant piggie.... although mine is not quite as big as yours yet.

I'm new to all this and these are my first piggies. I have two females and one male (companion for my male rabbit) that are housed seperately but I had a housing issue when I first got them and since I was told they couldn't get pregnant till they were 10-12 weeks old I had my 8 week old girls in with the 6mth old male for approx 1 week.......... well as you can imagine I now have a pregnant female.

I too don't know what to do for her and wasn't expecting to breed them, but now find myself with a pregnant piggie.

Just wanted to let you know you're not alone.

As for questions... Can anyone (experienced piggie people) tell me how I can work out when my little one will have her babies?

JD In Van

Cavy Slave
That male needs to be removed from the rabbit ASAP and he can't be with the female until he's neutered.

Female cavies can get pregnant any time after 4 weeks.

fieryone

Cavy Slave
If she was housed with an intact male then yes, she is more than likely pregnant. Guinea pigs are very prolific breeders. If you're not a breeder then why did you knowingly house her with a male? Even if you're not a "professional" breeder, if you intentionally put intact male and female animals together for the purpose of producing babies then yes, you are a breeder.

3newpigs

Cavy Slave
I wonder if a lot of people just aren't aware of how early they can breed. I know I had no idea until just recently when I started thinking about getting a guinea pig and doing a little reading online. Most animals aren't even weaned from their mothers at 4 wks old, much less breeding. If you didn't know guinea pigs and just got a couple, you might think you have a while before they're breeding age, like kittens or puppies. You wouldn't think twice about two 8 wk old intact puppies being together, you know?

Unfortunately the people you get them from, unless it's a shelter, don't educate you on this. This is my 3rd time having guinea pigs, and I'm just now finding out how early they can breed. I was just a kid when I had the others, the first one was just one male, and then I had 3 females at once, luckily none of them were pregnant when we got them. I'm considering myself new at this though, since back then we just fed them pellets and a little lettuce and carrot here and there, their cages weren't up to the standards we know about today.

I'm sorry, didn't mean to ramble. I'm just saying it's easy to make mistakes with such a unique animal when you're new at it.

Fearless, I hope your guinea pig is okay.

meaakn33

Cavy Slave
Im shocked. A 8 week old GP can get pregnant? I have two boys thank goodness I didnt make the same mistakes as others, for I could have been in the same boat when I got mine. There needs to be away to educate people more easily before hand. "I" myself would have thought a GP pig atleast be like a dog or cat and have to be 6 months or older! But 8 weeks.. goodness that so exremely heartbreaking... I dont see how that piggy will survive ...:weepy:

fieryone

Cavy Slave
I wonder if a lot of people just aren't aware of how early they can breed.

This is true. They can breed at a surprisingly young age. But they are rodents and it's kind of par for the course. The OP didn't make it sound like they were babies who may have been together too long but did know they were opposite gender which is why I asked the OP why they were together if the genders were known.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Factor in that guinea pigs don't really live as long as most dogs or cats - if their life span is shorter and they are prey animals, they "need" to theoretically reproduce faster.

That is part of why the babies are born with fur and teeth, and can run at birth.

3newpigs

Cavy Slave
Factor in that guinea pigs don't really live as long as most dogs or cats - if their life span is shorter and they are prey animals, they "need" to theoretically reproduce faster.

That is part of why the babies are born with fur and teeth, and can run at birth.

I completely understand. I just think a lot of people are just totally unaware and mean no harm.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.