Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C Help picking new cage

meaakn33

Cavy Slave
Hello Everyone!
First let me say I have learned so much already from this site. Second let me apologize for being so unknowledgeable about Guinea Pigs.
I allowed my 17 & 8 year to get 2 guinea pigs at a pet store approx. 2 months ago. At that time I prob thought of them as much as a pet goldfish. But after having them now for awhile and realizing how they are caring pets just as much as a cat or dog I am tryin to do right by them.
I want to purchase a home for them that is roomy and fun like I have seen on here. Currently they are in a "starter home" the pet store had. 30" x 12" ( i know its horrible). I have pictures of 2 homes I like to purchase hopefully in the next couple hours. Could any one tell me which would be better?? Or if there ok. I have a cat so it has to have a top.

PS.. I have read and printed out the "The Fleece Project:The Study" IM excited to get this cage done by the weekend!!

Thanks for any help and opinions..

Last edited by a moderator:

2sCompany

Cavy Slave
Get all that and a sheet of 4x8 coroplast and you're good to go.

This is mine.

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
Welcome! I'm glad you're getting them a bigger home!

Unfortunately both of those are still small. 2 pigs should be in a 2 grid x 4 grid single level cage. You can add a second level on to that if you want, but the second level doesn't count toward the space requirement. In fact, the ramp takes away running room on the bottom. If your pigs are sows you could possibly get away with a 2x3 single level cage with no ramp, but a 2x4 is much better.

Have you considered making your own? Or buying from Sue?

meaakn33

Cavy Slave
My problem is the space to put a longer cage. So I was hoping the 2nd floor would be better. URGHH.. Im at work now, when I get home I will measure the area were the cage will go and see because I believe from reading here 2x4 is the size I would need.. also who is SUE??

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Unfortunately, upper levels do not count towards overall square footage. They mainly just provide added space so that pigs can have a place to go to get away from each other.

You can get by with a 2x3 for two female pigs provided they get along well. Bigger is always better. For males though, it needs to be no smaller than a 2x4.

Sue is the lady that sells cages through this site. She can be contacted at [email protected].

Also unfortunately, I am going to have to remove the images of the cages as you have them linked directly from auction sites.

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
You could do a also 3x3 if that would fit better than a 2x4. Or if you have girls and all you can fit is a 2x3, just leave off the second level or make a ramp that goes outside of the cage rather than taking up space in it.

tribbletek

Cavy Slave
I had space issues when I started as well, something that was recommended to me was to use the grids to build open shelves at the bottom and then the cage on top of that, so the storage area is available for either piggy-specific items or as a stand-in for a piece of furniture that needs to be moved for more piggy space. You might need to pick up a second box of grids to make this happen, but it is well worth it to see those piggies bounce!

I had a large cedar chest that was making expansion to a healthy 2x4 difficult. I took this advice and moved the chest to the basement and still have the four 'cubbies' formed by the grids to store things. Personally, I think it looks much more organized, as I had to get tupperware containers for photos and the like that would otherwise be buried in the chest.

Hope this helps.

meaakn33

Cavy Slave
Thanks to all for the advice! Also thanks to ANYONE who has downloaded photos to this site. I think thats a wonderful thing this website does. It really shows people how special these little animals are. When I came across this page and saw the pictures it was a real eye opener for me, and hopefully to others too!!

meaakn33

Cavy Slave
More help!

OK, My cage will be here hopefully tomorrow, please give any advice on what all i need. I saw where someone had a picture of there "yum-yum poo-poo room"? I have no clue how to set this up.. Its a 56 x 28 C&C cage. I read about fleece and got that down, but what else is essential??

thanks again

meaakn33

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone, My cage is in route and shoudl be delivered tomorrow. Ive been trying to find any post that show me little tricks or ideas to make the cage more fun and also any ideas that make it a happy home. When the cage comes it will be blank. I have currently in my "little box cage" a igloo, a corner potty box, water bootle, pellet holder, and a small round ball that holds hay! Thanks for any ideas or links you know of that will help.. my old cage was 30" x 12" the new one will be 56" x 28" :)

meaakn33

Cavy Slave
There new home. I still have more work, plus I have to rearrange some furniture in my house.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.