Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New...and got a few questions

Tabogon

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone, my name is Josh. I am married, have 2 beautiful daughters and 2 goofy persian cats.

The cats are my wife's and my oldest daughter's pets, they are actually nervous of me. (I think I was actually the first male that they had met when I met my wife)

Anyway, my youngest one loves animals. I take her to pet stores weekly just to see all the different kinds. She especially loves guinea pigs and rabbits. I decided that for pets we can call our own I would buy the two of us guinea pigs. (I really want a teddy!)

My questions specifically have to do with rabbits. As I said my daughter loves rabbits and my wife is in love with the little lion-head rabbits and she was told that since they are so small they can co-exist together in the same cage as a guinea pig.

Now from what I have read, rabbits can kick pretty hard and they can be fatal for guinea pigs. (obviously bad!) However, I have to admit that those lion-head rabbits are very small, so I don't know how they would be together.

So can, and is it safe to, have a guinea pig and a lion-head rabbit in the same cage? If so, is there anything (food, bedding, etc.) that would be bad for either of them? And, if they can live together, and there is no food, bedding, etc. problems, would a rabbit be a good enough substitute for a guinea pig's companion?

I would obviously prefer two piggies, but my wife said we should give her the option of her first pet (because she would really like her to choose a rabbit) and I am afraid she might want a rabbit more. I can not even start to think of the cost and maintenance of two piggies and a rabbit, and two separate cages for that matter. And this is suppose to be an experience for the both of us so I would prefer two pets that we both like that can live together with no problems.

Thanks!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Hi and Welcome to GPC!

Do you know about guinea pig and rabbit adoption? There are thousand of homeless pigs (rabbits, too!) out there that need your help. If you buy pigs in petstores or from breeders, homeless cavies/rabbits are put to death and more are bred to restock petstore shelves. Please find a local shelter or rescue and adopt a pair of cavies or a pair of rabbits that need a home. I'm sure you could find a teddy through adoption.

It's never good to house guinea pigs and rabbits, no matter the size of the rabbit. I've seen a few lion-head rabbits and they aren't that small. They also have different dietary needs when it comes to pellets. Guinea pig pellets contain Vit. C that rabbits don't need and rabbit pellets contain antibiotics and things guinea pigs don't need. Rabbits can also carry certain diseases that can pass to guinea pigs.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Rabbits and guinea pigs should not be housed together no matter the size. Even a dwarf rabbit can bite or kick pretty hard and smaller breed rabbits tend not be to best with small children due to their delicate size.

Ditto adoption. Pet stores use puppy mill type places to buy their animals from. They are usually sick and missexed, which will lead to heartbreak for your children.

Look over House Rabbit Society Rabbit Care Guide and www.guinealynx.info for their respective needs. Also rabbits

Lionheads are unfortunately flooding rescues and shelters lately because breeders thought we needed a new breed to add to thousands of already homeless ones.

They are cute but not low maintenance much like guinea pigs. And their health issues due to breed are coming out more.

Your family should read up and discuss pro and cons. It is do-able to get both but like you said, maintenance and cost will add up.

KErickson

Cavy Slave
From what I understand, you need to buy two guineas at a time they are very social creatures. They will get sick if you buy only one. Also the guinea pigs bully the rabbits. Not the other way around. You need the pigs and rabbits in a seperate cage. Also, do not buy a store cage for the guinea, you have to build it yourself, store bought ones are too small. For some ideas on Guinea cages go to www.guineapigcages.com

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
From what I understand, you need to buy two guineas at a time they are very social creatures. They will get sick if you buy only one. Also the guinea pigs bully the rabbits. Not the other way around. You need the pigs and rabbits in a seperate cage. Also, do not buy a store cage for the guinea, you have to build it yourself, store bought ones are too small. For some ideas on Guinea cages go to www.guineapigcages.com

You should not "buy" guinea pigs at all. Adoption is the way to go. Please don't encourage buying guinea pigs, but please do encourage adopting pigs from shelters or rescues.

I don't know where you get that "they will get sick if you buy only one" as that's not true. They do need a friend of their own species and it's better to have at least 2 but that doesn't mean a lone pig is going to automatically be sick.

Yes in some cases the pigs can harm the rabbits but rabbits do have powerful kicks that can severely injure or even kill a guinea pig.

This site is guineapigcages.com, the url you posted goes to our main homepage.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.