Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pregnancy HELP! Pregnant and Sick

LovenPiggies

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
I know its long but please read, I need help ASAP.

Hey, ok so today I rescued a piggy from someone who was going to let her go!! I had a ad up about guinea pigs and got a random email about this lady who had a guinea pig who she was going to let go because she "had too many" anyways I took her in and she is in horrible condition and not to mentions rediculously pregnant. Her pelvic bones are spred far apart and her female "area" is very very swollen. She is also leaking water..?
anyways, she is breathing veyr heavy and sounds lieks he is weezing too. Her brething is crackely sounding. I think she might have URI. I put ehr in a different cage than my girls I have now. Oh, and she was covered in poop and her fur was stained yellow all over. Her paws were so cacked in poop I couldnt see her feet! She was just horrible. I gave her a bath with safe piggy shapoo then dried her. I her this noise and held my ear to her and there was tons of noise coming form inside her tummy! Sounded like piggies squeeking and grinding there teeth and the weird thing was i put my finger on her stumach and could feel the babys making the noises!

My question is: If she does infact have URI, what do I do?
second: When do you think her babies will be here?

I dont know what to do with ehr being sick and babies coming so soon. Help please

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
So, you now have three pregnant pigs? I strongly suggest you stop taking in pigs at least until you are a more experienced pig owner with more knowledge, especially these sick pigs.

I hope you don't have this pig with your other three girls like you did the last one. Did you ever find out what killed that pig, by the way?

What shampoo did you use to bathe her?

You need to get this pig to a cavy savvy vet right away. If one's not available get her to an emergency vet, but do it today, if she's in as bad a shape and as close to delivering as you are describing.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
If this pig does not get to an emergency vet today, she may die. Leaking fluid is an obvious sign of pregnancy distress. Then add a possible URI on top of it and you have a very stressed out, very ill pig that you most likely made worse by giving her a bath at this point.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
It is good you have her in a different cage but she should be in a completely different room behind closed doors and away from your other guinea pigs.

Tessa Bea

Cavy Slave
Six words. Get that pig to a vet.

I also agree with Paula, you should reconsider taking in every pig that you come across until you are more experienced.

Hopefully you've quarantined this time- and as rabbits said, in a separate room.

Sugar&Ellie

Cavy Slave
Please take her to vet and tell us how it goes,

Updates updates updates!

LovenPiggies

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
URI? might be in labor?

I am not sure where this goes because it includes two types of things, pregnancy and sickness. Sorry, If I put it in the wrong spot.

Hi, I just need some straight up answers. I have been looking all over the internet and have gotten different answers and blah blah so on so on. So please, Just someone, help me out.

Ok, So..Milkshake is the new pregnant pig I rescued. I know I prolly shouldnt have, But she needed help so I took her. The thing is, I think she might have a URI. I am not sure though. SO I will tell you how she is right now:

-Breathing kinda wheezy/heavy sounding
-no discharge form eyes at all
-no discharge from nose at all
-eating tons of food
-drinking lots of water
-running around very happily
-very friendly with me
-acting like a normal guinea pig should
-no sneezing of any kind
-no coughing
-she will take treats form me
-she is a happy camper
-she is verrry pregnant right now, I think she is actually in labor as we speek but I am not sure. She is makign a weird puring/humming/fante squeeking noise and she has a clear liquid discharge form her female "area" along with her female "area" being swollen and her nipplels look to be purky and swollen too. She is the igloo and I can see her and she keeps making that noise,her stumach will twitch real big,she gets up,She turnis around, licks her "area", then she lays back doen then rinse and repeats it all over again.

Anyways, Do you think she is in labor or should be having them soon by what I said?

Also, Do you think she has a URI? Should there be different symptoms for that? Or is she ok? Or what? If she does have one, can I give her meds from a vet if she is nursing babies? Or should I wait till they are weaned? I called the vet and they told me since she is so far along that I cant give her meds now cause it can kill the babies and possibly the mom. I dont know if she has one because the internet is telling me she should have lots more symtoms that she is having. Maybe, It is just her breathing havy because of all the strain on her with her belly ready to pop. She is huge and her stomach is so hard I can feel ever part of each single baby and hear, yes, hear the babies!

I just need a little help here. Thanks

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
You need to take this pig to a vet. Stop looking for a solution on the internet and HAVE HER SEEN BY A CAVY SAVVY PROFESSIONAL.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
Sorry but you don't get to start new threads when you already have a thread started on the same subject.

I guess you have not actually taken the pig to a vet yet, seeing a how you state you only spoke to one on the phone (who doesn't sound cavy savvy).

You've already been given good advice, I'm not sure what more you want. It's very possible for a pig showing only signs of wheezing to have a URI.

The leaking of fluid is a major concern. It can be pregnancy distress. If you do not get her to a cavy savvy vet, she and her pups have a very high chance of dying.

Instead of posting to multiple forums seeking advice (while listening to none it seems), you should be getting her into an emergency vet before it's too late.

krittercrazy

Cavy Slave
Re: URI? might be in labor?

Hi, I just need some straight up answers. I have been looking all over the internet and have gotten different answers and blah blah so on so on. So please, Just someone, help me out.

I just need a little help here. Thanks

Straight up, as you have already been told, take her to a cavy savy vet now! The vet cannot help you over the phone nor can anyone help you over the internet.

LovenPiggies

Cavy Quiet
Cavy Gazer
Please, Do not be rude to me. I am here to ask questions but I do not deserve your smart remark. I called a vet that IS a guinea pig vet and they told me they cant do anything if she is this close to having her babies. They said her babies will die because of the meds. I was curious if she can take meds while nursing. No one bothers to answer my questions when I ask, so that's why I keep posting. All I want are some answers, Ones besides "take her to the vet" I know that part, k! And please, DO not talk to me like I am stupid,I dont need thatf rom you. Thanks

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Is this the same vet that you claim to have taken your pigs to after another died unexpectedly and gave them a shot without telling you what it was? A one time cure-all that was supposed to keep them from getting sick? If so, that is not a vet who has any relevant experience with guinea pigs.

You have taken in an animal in obvious and very serious distress. An animal, might I add, that you seem not to have the slightest idea how to care for. Unless you want her and per pups to die, she needs medical care from a veterinarian qualified to give it.

If you already know to take her to the vet, get off your computer and do it.

Tessa Bea

Cavy Slave
As I previously stated, I shall now state again with boldness.

Six words.

Get that pig to a vet...

Six more, though, this time.

...one experienced with guinea pigs. Now.

Do not wait any longer.

EDIT- I posted this at the same time as your other post at 8:18. My opinion is still the same. Vet. Now.

krittercrazy

Cavy Slave
Please, Do not be rude to me. I am here to ask questions but I do not deserve your smart remark. I called a vet that IS a guinea pig vet and they told me they cant do anything if she is this close to having her babies. They said her babies will die because of the meds. I was curious if she can take meds while nursing. No one bothers to answer my questions when I ask, so that's why I keep posting. All I want are some answers, Ones besides "take her to the vet" I know that part, k! And please, DO not talk to me like I am stupid,I dont need thatf rom you. Thanks

The vet can do a C-section to possibly save the babies and mommas lives. The vet can also answer your question of if she can take meds while nursing, seeing as the vet will have to be the one prescribing them. That requires you actually, physically taking the guinea pig to the vet.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
Of course, you know, your last post will not be approved. Such a lovely mouth you have on you. Enjoy your infraction.

twiztedlilfae

Cavy Slave
LovenPiggies said:
-she is verrry pregnant right now, I think she is actually in labor as we speek but I am not sure. She is makign a weird puring/humming/fante squeeking noise and she has a clear liquid discharge form her female "area" along with her female "area" being swollen and her nipplels look to be purky and swollen too. She is the igloo and I can see her and she keeps making that noise,her stumach will twitch real big,she gets up,She turnis around, licks her "area", then she lays back doen then rinse and repeats it all over again.

This sounds like what Honey did when she was in labor. I've been around animals that have been in labor before so I kind of knew she was in labor. If this has been going on for more than 30 mins, get her to a vet NOW!!!! I mean seriously!!!!

She sounds like she is having trouble with the birth. It will kill her if she is in labor for a long time, along with the babies. Do not let the vet try and have them naturally get a c-section ASAP! Stop asking questions on the internet, we are giving you the answer you need!! VET NOW. Not being rude, and not talking down to you. But a vet can't diagnose over the phone and trying to find the answer on the internet isn't going to work because we aren't THERE. YOU ARE. Take the initiative and GO. RIGHT NOW.

The longer she's in labor the more risk to her and the babies!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
I want to let you all know that LovenPiggies is more concerned about how she's being talked to in the thread than doing what is right for her pig. She posted a rather derogatory post, one that will not be approved, cursing the forum out more or less. She may even get banned because of it.

I feel sorry for the pig. She doesn't deserve to have an owner who is more concerned about internet postings than the life of her pig and the pups.

fieryone

Cavy Slave
You obviously don't want to hear this but you're not going to get another answer besides take the pig to the vet right now. No one can treat your pig over the internet or over the phone. The vet you called doesn't seem to know much about pigs or animals in general if what you've stated is true. While this forum is an excellent resource, it's not a replacement for a competent vet.

Take the pig to the vet now. There is no other answer. She and her babies could very well die. It sounds like she is trying to deliver and is having complications, but no one can tell you for sure through a computer. If she's sick to boot, she has a smaller chance of survival. Go now.

AmandaErlandson

Cavy Slave
I can't believe you are just letting this piggie suffer in your care! You claim you are an animal lover, but you are gonna just sit by and let this pig die. For what? To save $40 at the vet! Come on. Please take her to a cavy savvy vet. Here is what a quick search of Guinea Lynx turned up in Virginia (that is where your profile says you live)

Dr. Peter Fisher (also Dr. Partlow, Dr. Hulls, and Dr. Fox)
Pet Care Veterinary Hospital
5201 Virginia Beach Blvd.
Virginia Beach, VA 23462
757--473-0111

Name: David A. Crum, DVM
Address: 111-A Center St., South
City: Vienna, VA 22180
Phone Number: 703-281-3750

Name: Scott J. Stahl, DVM, DABVP
Address: 111-A Center St., South
Vienna, VA 22180
City: Vienna
Phone Number: 703-281-3750

Dr. Valerie Campbell; Dr. Wendy Behm
Blue Ridge Veterinary Associates
120 E. Cornwell Lane
Purcellville, VA. 20132
540-338-7397

I hope one of these is near you. I don't know about how good their care is but I would say that starting here is better than sittling by and letting her die.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.