Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Officially time for introduction

Seonta

Cavy Slave
I've been on and off this site for a number of months preparing for my time to get guinea pigs once more. Now that I have succeeded, it is time for a proper introduction.
I went to college, got a degree in social work. Even after a 100,000 dollar education I did not get a job coming out of college ( in May 2009). I was stressed for a number of months searching for a job. Now initially (in 2008) I wanted to get a dog, but my parents refused, since I live with them I need to follow their rules. They said what ever you get has to live in a cage. So I thought I should get guinea pigs again. Back in December of 2008 I began to purchase my supplies for a c&c cage.
The cage is now large....
https://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/data/2/Side_a.JPG
https://www.guineapigcages.com/photos...f_the_cage.JPG
https://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/data/2/Side_b.JPG
it is a 2X8 with a 2X6 coming off of it. L shape, no barriers, one floor, full run.

So after graduating with my degree, much too expensive if you ask me, it was impossible to get an SW (social work) job as they were laying off instead of hiring. Eventually I was taken on by a law firm to help talk people into paying their bills rather than being sued. They call us Case managers- though in all reality I'm just a glorified bill collector.

The agreement was to wait three months... to be sure I could pay the bills that I had, I waited less than one because my sister said she wanted to get guinea pigs too. In this way we will both be paying for them (by that I mean food, supplies, etc).

I had two males growing up and adored them. They of course died long ago. I sort of wanted to try females, and my grandmother sealed the deal when she said "lets go look at these guinea pigs) and we found 4 little babies. One turned out to be a male which we left behind and took the three females.

Their names are:
Black and White: pepper
Black and brown: Ginger
Brown (with black tick marks): Cinnamon

Cinny (cinnamon) actually has orange spots, one behind each ear and one on her left side at her butt area and back of her leg.

We are considering getting a 4th female guinea pig but first these three need a clean bill of health. Which they do not have. Upper respiratory infections all the way around. Tomorrow they are also going in because they are a little rounded at the sides, I do not know if it is bloat or babies.

But now the group of us are officially introduced.

oh, and so far they have willingly eaten:
Romain lettuce
cilantro
bell peppers
parsley (because they need calcium and this is how i decided to give it to them)
cherry tomato
carrots

I was told they are 4 or 5 weeks old, I do not know how truthful that is.

They are eating oxbow because that's what i could get short notice (wasn't planning to get them last weekend).
And of course I have today off so the bedding is getting cleaned today... and we are going to start trying to litter box train today.

So many plans.

p.s. Introductions usually include names, and I was too excited sharing their names and forgot mine. My name is Lora though I answer to many names including Seonta.

Tessa Bea

Cavy Slave
What cuties! Ginger reminds me a lot of my Mojo Jojo (see my avatar), she's been gone for a couple years now but still lives on in my heart.

I totally hear you about the job market- I see you're from Ohio- I just moved from Michigan, it's really rough out there right now.

It's good to see you've finally adopted some pigs! Congrats.

sdpiggylvr

Cavy Slave
Your guinea pigs are so cute. I am jealous! I hope everything goes well with their healing and vet trips. It's great they've been successfully eating several veggies already! And you are smart to litter train them. Saves so much time and work! I wish I had...
Good luck and enjoy your pigs!

distancel

Cavy Slave
I like your cage it looks very nice! They are lucky guinea pigs. They look very cute, and very shiny coats! I hope they are healthy soon, and not pregnant! Did they have the girls and boys kept together? I think Pepper is especially cute with her little white socks.

And yes the job market is not good at the moment, although I'm in another country to you (Australia) it's not good here either! I've been doing temp positions the last six months since the last company I was at shut down, and I hate it. I just want a stable job again but I don't know if they exist anymore.

Seonta

Cavy Slave
Litter box made the room smell worse because it made urine and feces all in the same spot for one guinea pig, half the time for another and not at all for the third. Too concentrated. My fleece is set up in sections and I'm happy to report 95% of waste is being left on the section with the food while the other sections only have an occasional dropping. I have to clean only this one section really a day and pick up the other ten droppings from the other area of the cage. It's great really, and a better alternative for me than getting bedding for a litter box area.

As for them and getting healthy there has been a great turn around. No crusty noses, and I only heard two sneezes this morning and am aware that some sneezing is fine. All are now refusing their medicine... though they are getting it anyway. So I feel putting up a fight means feeling better. All three are very shiny, and Pepper seems to have half an inch longer fur than the other two.

blackarrow

Cavy Slave
Glad to hear they're on the mend!

Seonta

Cavy Slave
I think they are healed. they sneeze occasionally still but I only hear it twice a day when I put hay in. I also noticed that one of them holds her eyes half closed after being in the hay. I'm using oxbow timothy... I believe I need to switch to something else. The vet seems to think that the upper respiratory infection is gone. But it is my understanding that allergies are rare. Cinnamon is the one who holds her eyes half closed, There are no crusties on any eyes or noses anymore.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.