Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Southern pigs

Calvin & Hobes

Cavy Slave
Hi ya'll! I've been reading on this forum for a couple of months now but just got around to joining. I'd like to start by thanking you for the wealth of information I've found here. Being a new guinea pig "Mom" you've already helped me more than I can say.

I recently took in two young boars who had been abandoned, cage and all, at a local pet store. I don't have any information about their history or ages but I'm guessing them to be around 7 or 8 months old. I named them Calvin & Hobes.

I started out with nothing but the store cage they were left in but since finding this site I've just finished building a new 2 level 2x4 C&C cage for them. They get along, most of the time, so the levels are connected by a ramp. This leads to lots of lap running around one level, followed by a ramp dash, followed by more lap running on the other level, etc. The cage turned out to be a bear to build but seeing them both popcorn, for the first time, when I first put them in it made it all worth while.

Yesterday I was lucky enough to attend a warehouse fabric sale. (Pray that hubby doesn't find out how much I spent.) I bought fleece, guilted bedspread remnants, flannel, and even the material they use for hospital bed pads so I'll be busy sewing all sorts of neat goodies for the boys.

Me? Oh, I'm boring. Middle aged southern female. Happily married with no children but plenty of critters. I'll try to get some photos of the boys and their new cage up soon. :)

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
Welcome! I'm glad they like their new cage!

Definitely check out the diet & nutrition section of this forum if you haven't already. It has lots of good info!

Toadies

Cavy Slave
Excuse me, but no one with guinea piggs is boring. Welcome and enjoy the beasties. Being a slave is pretty great. Most of us have other creatures also, so please let us know about the rest of your crew too.

piggiecrazy

Cavy Slave
Hello and welcome to the best cavy site around. Glad you found this site and the wealth of info it has to offer. Be sure to check out the threads on nutrition and diet.
Looking forward to seeing pigtures of your new babies and there fascinating cage.
I am also middle age and life at middle age is far from boring!!!LOL

Wheekie
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

Calvin & Hobes

Cavy Slave
Thank you all for the welcome! I wrote a post a few days ago during my probie period but it never showed up. I'm not sure how to get photos to show up in a post but I did manage to get a couple of shots of the boys into my gallery. (Sorry for the poor quality. The boys absolutely refused to pose pretty despite bribes of carrots.)

The black & white is Calvin who's the boss. He moved in and took right over. Even the cats, who formerly ruled the house, are a little intimidated by him but he turns into a piggie puddle during lap time.

Hobes is the brown, orange, & white one. He's a little timid and doesn't really enjoy lap time yet but we're making progress. Oddly enough I discovered the other day that he loves being blown dry after a bath. Go figure.....

I haven't taken any photos of the cage yet, although you can see part of one level in one photo. I'll admit it, I totally stole the design from a company that sells cages on Ebay.....bluestone? It turned out pretty good but I'm a little disappointed in how dark it is on the lower level. I'm already thinking about doing away with the storage area on the bottom and using those grids in between the two levels to open it up some.

The rest of my crew consists of one dog, two cats, and six horses. I've been raising, training, and showing palomino Quarter horses for longer than I care to admit to.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.