Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Conditions She still has lice...

GuineaPigMum

Cavy Slave
I use to live in North Carolina. I was getting my guinea pig ivermectin injections for about 2 months now. We moved about 1-2 weeks ago. I notice my guinea pig still has lice eggs. My parents are willing to go to the vets again, They were also wondering is there something we can do to get rid of them ourselves?

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
You can treat with ivermectin topically or orally (much less painful too) without a prescription, but you should talk to your vet since it's been two months. Are you sure it's lice? Is your vet an exotics vet? How far apart were the ivermectin treatments?

Binzer

Cavy Slave
I would consider finding a new vet who might offer a different course of treatment. I had been treating my piggies for lice for three months straight with ivermectin and they were showing no progress at all. I love my vet (he is my boss) but he was out of ideas and not too familiar with cavies. In the end I found someone who prescribed advantage. I just started that a few weeks ago but I havent seen any lice. The new vet said some stubborn lice just dont respond to ivermectin and they can establish themselves pretty quickly, although he said it was better than nothing as far as relief goes. I washed them and scrubbed down the cages and shampooed the carpets for good measure before applying and they are lice free finally. Best of luck.

JD In Van

Cavy Slave
I had lice on my pigs and Advantage worked fantastically well as well.

BabyBellie

Cavy Slave
I had lice and our vet used revolution. Simply because I would have had to buy a whole box of advantage but could buy just the right amount of revolution. I then had to sanitize EVERYTHING in the cage with vinegar before putting them back in. Within a day I noticed that the itching had stopped and there were no visible lice. Two weeks later they got another treatment and it was fine. Did you clean the cage after treating them?

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Advantage or Revolution works faster for lice it seems. You need topical ivermectin for lice.

GuineaPigMum

Cavy Slave
Where can I get topical ivermectin for lice at? I do think all her lice and lice eggs is all gone becuause she has nothing else left on her. They still might be a few left hiding in the bedding or somewhere in the cage. I clean her bedding every night to be sure she gets rid of the lice and to be clean.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.