Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Help Modifying My Cage!

xBigPigx

Cavy Slave
So I bought a cage the other day and it came with a second level. I would like to modify it by making my own and taking out the one that came with it. What is the best way to make a second level? Should the base of the upper level be the cube wired or should it be a flat surface? Any help would be awesome!

Seonta

Cavy Slave
Can you show us what cage you purchased?

blackarrow

Cavy Slave
Is the cage you bought a C&C? If so, it should be easy to make a second level the same way the first is made, and zip tie it on top. Check out the photo galleries of multi-level cages. You can't have a floor of grids, but they can support a coroplast floor just fine.

xBigPigx

Cavy Slave
Well I was very misinformed at the petstore. I currently have a 40 X 21 cage that I bought at Petsmart. After hearing that this is inadequate for two pigs, I am open to building them a cage. Can someone point me in the right direction of making one with two levels and which is big enough for two pigs. Thanks.

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
Guinea Pig Cages, Your Cavy At Home

Click on the links on the left as well. Look in the gallery for ideas on how to make a second level. Keep in mind that they need a large main level and that the second level does not count toward the space requirements.

xBigPigx

Cavy Slave
I live in a small room and the biggest I can make my cage is 40inches X 32 inches. Is that okay? Or is it not even worth making since mine is already 40X21. However, the second level that came with the cage isn't great, so I could build a better and bigger second level.

Seonta

Cavy Slave
It's the main floor space that counts, not additional levels. Guinea pigs need space to move otherwise as they grow you could end up with fights(if you have two or more) and depressed guinea pigs. If you can rearrange the room or get rid of something to give the animals the room they need, that would be for the best.

xBigPigx

Cavy Slave
I wish I could make it bigger, but my room itself is already soo small. I have a little cove in the corner of my room which is about 42 inches by 32 inches. Therefore that is the biggest I can do. Is making 40X32 a substantial upgrade above my 40X21 cage?

lissie

Cavy Slave
.Is making 40X32 a substantial upgrade above my 40X21 cage?
Yes. Now they only have 5.83 sq.ft. Once you make them a new cage, they'll have 8.88 sq.ft. Your new cage will meet the minimum requirement.

Seonta

Cavy Slave
If that's the best you can do that's fine but I don't think you could get away with any more than two sows (females). Two males would probably fight in that space.

gilbanne

Cavy Slave
When I first got my guinea pigs, I was seriously misinformed as well and got a cage from the pet store. However, not wanting to return it (since it was cool), I incorporated it into my current cage, which has 2 x 3 grids on the bottom and then has a ramp up to the pet store cage. I turned the pet store cage upside down (with the open side up, like a U) and put in a ramp for the GP's to access the top. I would say to make your cage as big as you can. My two guinea pigs love to sleep on the second floor!

xBigPigx

Cavy Slave
Ok so i re-measured, and this is the most I can do: 44X34. I just went to a place and got two big pieces of coroplast: 5ft X 4ft and a 3ft X 4ft. I also went to bed bath and beyond and got the gratings that was posted on this site. I wasn't sure if it was enough, but I only bought one of the stacking cube sets. Will it be enough for my cage, or will I have to buy another one? Also, each grid is 14.5in X 14.5 X 14.5 in. If they don't exactly add up to the dimensions I want, am I able to cut them down to the size i want?

lissie

Cavy Slave
That's great that you have bigger space. It will be about 10sq.ft.
If you have bolt cutter, you can cut the grids. If you don't you can overlap them and use zip/cable ties to tie them together.
One box from BB&B has 16 grids. It's more than enough to make the sides. If you need a stand, you'll have to buy another box.

xBigPigx

Cavy Slave
Thanks Lissie. Yeah I bought some zip ties so I can do that or overlap. Just curious. When I make the sides, how do they stand up? I'd assume they just don't balance on the floor. What is the best way to keep the sides from not falling down and staying in place?

lissie

Cavy Slave

xBigPigx

Cavy Slave
Sorry your right. It wont fall down. I was talking about the Grids, but they will hold them self up. THanks for helping me. I'm awful at following directions, so i'll probably be posting here a lot. But i'm going to try my hardest to follow the directions on how to build it.

By the way, if anyone has any tips about building it let me know. I'm going to start tonight if I have the energy. Also, from start to finish, how long does it usually take to build a normal C&C cage with no upper floor?

lissie

Cavy Slave
You're welcome.
From start to finish, I'd say about 1 - 2 hours.
And remember to measure twice, cut once.
Also remember that the thickness of coroplast counts towards the whole width and length of the base.
It's a good idea to finish building the grids then measure inside (from inside edge of the connectors) before cutting the coro.
You can always ask me if you have more questions.

xBigPigx

Cavy Slave
So Ive got most of it built. Now i'm just having some problems with the second story loft. I have two questions about it:

What is the best way to make a ramp? What material and how.

Also, what supports the 2nd floor. When I put pressure down on the 2nd level loft, it kinda caves in a little. Is there a good way to support the 2nd level. I was thinking that perhaps the ramp to the 2nd floor could support the 2nd level.

lissie

Cavy Slave
Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.