Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New to Guinea Pigs

tabikat55

Cavy Slave
Hello! We are new to the GP world and have learned alot from her in the 3 weeks we've had her. But there's still more questions that we have.

First of all, we are a huge lover of animals of all kinds (at least the warm blooded ones). So our household has 3 adult cats, 4 dogs, 2 African Clawed Frogs and Tasha - the pig.

Tasha really belongs to my very mature 5 yo grandson. Who everyday after school runs into his room and cleans out Tashas cage, gives her freash water and food and of course her veggie treats while she popcorns around the cage. They bonded within 12 hours of bringing her home and now while he's holding her or just laying on the bed with her on his chest, you can hear her purr, cluck and sound like a dove.

Right now I'm frustrated because when I bought Tasha and her large cage, which came with a water bottle, salt block, small bag of corn cob and a small bag of red cedar shavings and a little book. After two weeks of refreshing her bedding after toliet detail, I find out that cedar isn't good for her nor is the corn cob. I confronted the pet store as to why they wouldn't just supply a starter bag of Aspen instead of the cedar and corn cob. They're answer was that the cedar was up for debate. Wrong answer!

That's about it for this family!

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
Welcome to GPC! This is the best place to get accurate information. Have you thought about building a C&C cage? I bet your grandson and you would have a ball designing and building one.

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
Welcome!

The salt block is also not good for pigs.

You should make sure of the sex of your pig (don't trust the pet store), and then get it a same-sex friend. Guinea pigs are social animals and need to be with other guinea pigs. Please adopt next time--pet store pigs are often sick, missexed, and pregnant. There is a huge overpopulation problem, and there are many rescue and shelter pigs in need of homes.

First you'll need a proper size cage. I agree that your grandson would love to help design it! Don't forget to check out the diet and nutrition charts and sample menus to make sure you're feeding the right veggies in the right amounts and to weigh your pig weekly.

You've definitely come to the right place for information! Have fun with the new pig!

tabikat55

Cavy Slave
Oh I'd love to build a C&C but with the dogs she just wouldn't be safe. For right now, they get played with before school, after school, after dinner and right before bed. thanks for the reply!

tabikat55

Cavy Slave
I didn't use the salt block as I knew better. But funny you should mention checking out the sex and that Tasha needs a friend. Now don't get upset with us but the 12 yo grandson wanted a GP also. I called around to a larger city by us and found that they had 3 females so off the the store we go. They were all adorable (Teddy's: one white, and 2 that were calico marked). Something told me to check the "girls" just to make sure that they were girls and sure enough, one was a boy.

The kids understand that Tasha and Carley can not be together for 3 weeks and that they have to wash their hands between "pigs".

azalea

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the neighborhood, Tabikat. Great name, by the way.

There are a lot of us that were handed a cavy with food and cage attached to discover most everything we were told for care and maintainance was incomplete or just flat out wrong.

Howdy, howdy to Tasha and you!

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Oh I'd love to build a C&C but with the dogs she just wouldn't be safe. For right now, they get played with before school, after school, after dinner and right before bed. thanks for the reply!

There are a lot of members here who have dogs (predatory dogs included) and have C&C cages. You would just need to put it on a table and have a lid. C&C's are quite stable when built well (lots of zip ties) and dog proof.

When they live in small petstore cages, it like them living in a bathroom their whole entire life. They don't have room for play, exercise, or for extra accessories.

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
I am not at all sure why you chose to get your second pig from a pet store after finding this site, but please watch both of them carefully and weigh them frequently (at least every week). Pet store pigs are often sick, and when guinea pigs get sick they often go downhill very quickly and can easily die without proper, prompt treatment. Do you have a vet who is experience with cavies lined up yet? If not, I would do that ASAP.

They absolutely need a larger cage (at least 10.5 square feet on one level). A pet store cage is far too small. No amount of playtime will make up for that. They need to exercise on their own schedule, not yours. They don't sleep all night like humans.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.