Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Holly and new pig Fred here!

Holly&Fred

Cavy Slave
Hi! I'm Holly, and just today I picked up my (adopted) pig, Fred. I was so worried because I was unable to find any up for adoption in my immediate area, but Fred showed up on Craig's List just a few days ago and I'm so happy I found him. As is often times the case, he wasn't living in the best conditions before and unfortunately will be until the pet store opens tomorrow, as I was unaware that I would be getting him tonight at such a late hour and am, for the most part, unprepared (I made the mistake of assuming that the owner might have provided poor Freddy with some food -- there was nothing but bedding and poop in his bowl, which has since been replaced by a salad that I'm hoping will tide him over until I can run out in the morning for some pellets and hay).

He seems happier already and he's already warming up to me, but I've got a few questions.

First of all, I gave him a cardboard tube, as I saw was suggested as a play toy. While I know a little paper is OK for them to eat, about a quarter of the tube is missing now and he's still going at it. Should I take the tube back out, or is this perfectly safe/healthy?

He's missing a little hair toward the bottom of his ears, the pads of his feet are a little pinker than I had come to believe was normal, and he's been itching a little bit. He'll be seeing a vet next week, and I'm hoping these things are all normal and I'm just being oversensitive. But if anyone thinks otherwise, please let me know.

One last, little thing -- are blackberries a safe treat? I didn't see them mentioned anywhere so I'm not sure about their nutritional content or if their abundance of seeds could put my cavy in danger.

Thanks so much for the patience with the long post and glad to meet everyone!

Right after he got here and the only time he's let me get anywhere near him with the camera; yes, he's getting a C&C cage tomorrow.

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
He's cute!

Bald spots behind their ears are normal. A little bit of scratching is okay. But if you notice a lot of scratching or other hair loss, treat for mites and lice. Mites cannot be seen. You don't need to see a vet for treatment, and if he doesn't have mites/lice the treatment won't hurt.

Once he gets hay, I bet he stops eating the tube.

Blackberries are okay as a treat. Just don't feed them more than 1-2 times a week since they're high in sugar.

Are you planning on getting him a friend?

Holly&Fred

Cavy Slave
Right now I don't have the means to support more than one cavy, but in the future (when my finances are a little more stable; this was spur of the moment, he needed a home) he may be getting a friend.

Yes, he stopped chewing the tube as soon as I got him some hay this morning and I don't see any sign of mites, though he'll be seeing the vet next week for a check-up regardless.

He got his new C&C cage today and thank goodness for that! I didn't realize exactly how bad of shape the old cage was in until I went to throw all the litter out so I could clean and store it (in hopes of needing to use it later for quarantine of another piggy), and there was about two inches of gunk on the bottom that had built up since the last time his previous owner had cleaned it. It's waiting outside now to be hosed down tomorrow.

He's so much happier now! But he's gotta have a bite of everything in sight -- and I don't mean just hay, pellets, and veggies. He's been trying to eat his pigloo, a towel I mistakenly left too close to the cage, and he's even had a taste of the paving brick I put in the cage for him to play on.

It's looking up for Freddy. :)

Holly&Fred

Cavy Slave
I was sure I replied to this, but it's been a few days and nothing seems to have gone through.

Yes, as soon as I put the hay in he stopped chewing the tube.

I'm having some trouble getting him to eat veggies, but I know that's a pretty common problem and hopefully I'll find something he likes eventually (or he'll surrender and give what I'm offering a try). Until then I'm just hoping what he's getting now is giving him enough vitamin C.

I would love to get Fred a friend. Right now my finances aren't entirely stable, and next summer I may be moving. So I think I'll be waiting a few months to see how things go with Fred first, and this winter I'll be looking into getting him a buddy. My only concern is that if introductions go awry, I don't have the space to set up another C&C cage in this same room (or anywhere else for that matter!).

Anyway, in sort, yes, I do hope to get him a friend, but not for a few months and with a little concern.

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
Veggies: Feed bell pepper and lettuce only in small amounts until he eats them. It might take a long time, but he will. Once he eats those, add in other things. If he's not eating the veggies, you can give a 100% vit. C supplement (no sugar or other vitamins added). Just don't use the drops in the water. Your pellets should have some vitamin C in them as well, but it can degrade so it is best to make sure he is getting enough from his veggies.

He really would be much happier with a friend. Guinea pigs are social animals and no amount of human interaction can take the place of another guinea pig. Two do not cost much more than one. Your best chance of them getting along is to match an older pig with a younger pig. If you happen to find a spayed female, that would also probably work well. If you do a proper introduction, the chances of them getting along are good. In a worst case scenario, you can always stack two cages.

It's a good idea to have at least several hundred dollars available for an emergency vet fund. Guinea pigs do often require vet care, and the costs can add up quickly.

Holly&Fred

Cavy Slave
I understand that he would be much happier with a friend and do intend to get him one, but at the moment it is out of the question. In a few months (when my financial situation has settled a bit and I will be able to put aside enough money in case of two sick piggies) a new pig will most definitely come into the picture.

Right now he eats romaine lettuce and carrot (I don't feed carrots every day since they are more of a treat veggie), so I'm hoping that plus the vitamin C in his pellets/hay will get him enough until he either tries the peppers I've been offering daily or I find another veggie high in vitamin C that he's willing to eat. If he doesn't start eating other veggies soon though I will definitely look into getting him a vitamin supplement.

Thanks so much for your help!

JD In Van

Cavy Slave
Veggies: Feed bell pepper and lettuce only in small amounts until he eats them. It might take a long time, but he will. Once he eats those, add in other things. If he's not eating the veggies, you can give a 100% vit. C supplement (no sugar or other vitamins added). Just don't use the drops in the water. Your pellets should have some vitamin C in them as well, but it can degrade so it is best to make sure he is getting enough from his veggies.

It's MUCH better to get him pellets with stabilized vitamine C in it. The drops degrade in the water in under 15 minutes and do nothing but muck it up after that.

As for getting him a friend, what you may want to do is offer to foster for a local small animal rescue. They will often cover the costs of any vet bills that come up and even assist with food/cage supplies. If you find a buddy who gets along with Fred (He needs a Barney) you can opt to adopt, if not you just take care of the piggy until it finds a forever home.

Holly&Fred

Cavy Slave
As for getting him a friend, what you may want to do is offer to foster for a local small animal rescue. They will often cover the costs of any vet bills that come up and even assist with food/cage supplies. If you find a buddy who gets along with Fred (He needs a Barney) you can opt to adopt, if not you just take care of the piggy until it finds a forever home.

I had considered doing that, and still am, but the closest rescue to me is about two hours away. Right now I'm just gonna let Fred settle in and in the coming weeks I'll decide what I want to do about getting his friend. Fostering and adopting later seems like a good option though.

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
Have you contacted the rescue? Many of them will help with transportation, and they might even have a foster home in your area that you could get in touch with. They will be better able to find a good match for your pig, and if it doesn't work out, they will probably be able to work out an exchange so you don't have to get two cages.

Holly&Fred

Cavy Slave
That rescue is definitely the one I'm getting my next pig from (whether I'll foster first or just plain adopt is still up in the air). They aren't willing to travel too far, but they can help with transportation a little bit. Apparently they're very good at matching up piggy personalities, so hopefully everything will work out great with that.

I think Fred will be alright on his own for a few weeks while my financial situation settles down and I can stash away some money for vet care, but I will probably look into getting his friend sooner than I had originally intended. Still, I would much rather wait a few weeks to get his friend than run out to adopt another cavy now, end up having a piggy emergency, and have a pig suffer because I could not pay for treatment.

JD In Van

Cavy Slave
That rescue is definitely the one I'm getting my next pig from (whether I'll foster first or just plain adopt is still up in the air). They aren't willing to travel too far, but they can help with transportation a little bit. Apparently they're very good at matching up piggy personalities, so hopefully everything will work out great with that.

I think Fred will be alright on his own for a few weeks while my financial situation settles down and I can stash away some money for vet care, but I will probably look into getting his friend sooner than I had originally intended. Still, I would much rather wait a few weeks to get his friend than run out to adopt another cavy now, end up having a piggy emergency, and have a pig suffer because I could not pay for treatment.

Good plan. And down the road, one of the big advantages of rescues is their animals are typically vet checked and treated for any pre existing conditions before they're allowed to be adopted out.

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
Yes, he will be fine for a few weeks. Have fun picking out a new pig!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.