Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Eating A Lot Of Cardboard.

SFailed186

Cavy Slave
My three piggies had a cardboard box in their cage to play with, but I took it out last night. When I cut holes in the box, they were about as tall as an adult guinea pig, now they are double the height because my girls have been eating it so much. It just doesn't seem natural... They have two large piles of Timothy hay at all times, as well as pellets, so they are not hungry. Are their any major risks to a guinea pig that has eaten a lot of cardboard? Should I keep the box out and try something else (like making a wooden play house)?

Dr Doughnut

Cavy Slave
My three piggies had a cardboard box in their cage to play with, but I took it out last night. When I cut holes in the box, they were about as tall as an adult guinea pig, now they are double the height because my girls have been eating it so much. It just doesn't seem natural... They have two large piles of Timothy hay at all times, as well as pellets, so they are not hungry. Are their any major risks to a guinea pig that has eaten a lot of cardboard? Should I keep the box out and try something else (like making a wooden play house)?

Check to see if any cardboard is on the floor. They could just be chweing it but not eating.

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
It freaked me out too when my 4 piggies would eat 2 toilet paper tubes in a day. I ment EAT them! NO remaining scraps. They had plenty of food too. They have since gotten board with eatting cardboard. They moved onto the plastic coroplast for a while but as also got board with that. They currently are being better. I would watch them to make sure they pooped and ate and gave them plenty of water. My guinea pigs never had an issue. I think its a phase give them tons of carboard and they'll get board real quick! LOL and watch to make sure they are eatting, pooping and such! Good luck

HellFire

Cavy Slave
My guineas eat alot of cardboard too, i think it's just something extra for them to gnaw on, just make sure there's no sticky labels/sellotape or anything on the boxes. I agree with Onetwo as well, mine seem to be getting bored of it now and just prefer to eat hay all the time :)

IluvePiggies

Cavy Slave
I'm not really for sure on this. I'm real worried about my piggie who chewed about a 10'' hole in her plastic hidey. Thank goodness she is eating like a normal hog :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.