Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Teeth Really Need Your Opinions

• Post hidden due to user being banned.
Is your vet a vet for guinea pigs? If she/he specializes in guineas, I would do it. The vet usually knows whats right. I can totally see why you wouldn't want to though. Hope this helps.

$875.00! Wowzers. Since your guinea pig is acting perfectly normal, I think you should wait it out, but keep a very close eye on him. Why can't the vet just file the teeth down without doing all of that other stuff?

Last edited:
I would get a second opinion.

Xrays are always a good idea if there's a suspicion of an underlying issue, like elongated roots. However, generally when xrays would be recommended would be a time when a pig DOES have symptoms of teeth issues but when the vet opens the mouth, all seems well.

Based only on what you're saying here - his behavior, appetite, lack of other symptoms that indicate an underlying tooth issue - I myself would have to doubt whether or not the pig was really having serious teeth issues.

You could have the tooth trimmed and see if the problem goes away or not, especially as long as he's eating normally and his weight is steady.

Or, you could always agree to do the xray, get the results and go from there. There's no reason that they'd do an xray and move immediately to a tooth extraction, except to save him from undergoing anesthesia an additional time, but in this case I'm not sure that's worth much.

However, at his age, I would be quite reluctant to race into anything that might not be necessary to begin with.

To me it seems like this vet just wants money, I personally wouldn't put my little pigger through all of this unless he showed pain or a problem with his teeth. Just make sure he has enough chew toys and he will probably be fine. Best of luck.

There is no reason to have all that done for a chipped tooth and no other signs of teeth issues. Incisors are open rooted and grow continuously. Alot of pigs chip or lose their incisors. If he's eating well I wouldn't have the teeth filed either unless they become a big problem.

I also want to mention chew toys are an absolute waste for most pigs. They don't wear down the teeth and most pigs ignore them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.