Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

gap between coroplast base and cage?

kbeck

Cavy Slave
Hi Everyone,

we just finished the first floor of a C & C cage, but have a question. I used all of the measurements from the site for a 2 X 3 cage, but now that it is finished and I put the coroplast base inside of the cage, there is about a 1" gap all the way around. Is this correct or should the coroplast fit tight to the grids? I have 6" sides for the coroplast, but am worried that our new piggy could somehow get in the gap in between the two. She is about 14 weeks old. Is this a concern? We can make the cage smaller by removing the connectors and putting zip ties, but it doesn't seem like it will be as sturdy for adding a second floor. Help!

Thanks in advance!

Yes, there is a small gap to let the coroplast sit inside the connectors.

Did you baby-proof your cage?

Thanks for the reply. I didn't know anything about baby-proofing the cage, but have been reading up and will probably just add more coroplast. We were going to build a partial second level with a ramp. Is that safe for a guinea pig of this age?

There are other threads on baby-proofing, but the main ways to do it are to use overlapping grids so the holes are effectively smaller or to extend the coroplast up to 10 inches. You can also stick cardboard between the grids and coroplast.

Yes, you can build a second level and ramp. It might take them some time to use it, so make sure you have food on the main level too for a while. Use a surface they can grip and put sides and maybe a top on the ramp.

Are you planning on adopting her a friend? This is strongly recommended as pigs are social animals and should be kept in pairs or groups. Keep in mind that they would benefit from a larger cage and that the ramp to the second level will take away space on the main level for running.

We hope to eventually get a companion for her, but live in a very remote area and are at least 6 hours away from the nearest rescue.

Thanks for all your help!

I see. I'm sure something will come up eventually.

Have fun finishing up the cage!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.