Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Sneezing How often do Piggies just sneeze?

iPiggy

Cavy Slave
Like just because they do, no because they're sick? I ask because the pigs have been sneezing more than I usually notice. It started with Star, who I put in the quarentine cage after a whole fit of sneezing (would have rushed her to the vet, but it was midnight and there is no emergency small pet vet). As soon as I did, she stopped sneezing. I waited a day, then she still didn't sneeze anymore. Now Pixie is sneezing more then usual. Should I take her to the vet? I am a bit skeptical for 3 reasons:
-The vet in our area is the only small animal vet and her prices don't let you forget it.
-And I don't want anyone on any un-nessasary medication.
-I'm not sure this vet is very cavy-savvy. I mean, last time Pix and Star were sneezing, she threw them around like sacks of potatoes... But the medicine she gave them worked....
And if I should take Pixie to the vet, should I take them all?
And I would like to point out that I would have taken them all to the vet as soon as Star started out the sneezing, but unfortunately that is not in my power and like I said before, there was no emergency vet =P

Milkingit

Cavy Slave
I found my piggies sneezed a lot when they had primary carefresh.

Now its only in their kitchen I catch them sneeze once or twice a day. I find Carefresh dusty and I sneeze myself with it.

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
Have you been weighing them weekly? Weigh loss is always a good indication if they are sick before seeing symtoms. If you don't weigh them weekly and they are sneezing more then normal I would take them to the vet, because you don't know if weight loss is involved as well. If you do weigh them and they have lost weight along with sneezing they definitely need to go to the vet.

They hide illness real well, so once symptoms arrise it's likely they have been sick for some time.

luvmycavies

Cavy Slave
I have one piggy out of three that sneezes whenever we switch environments. When she is moved to the floor play area or is outside. It isn't alot of sneezing but it seems more like an allergy or reaction to dust. No weight loss or other signs of illness.

rjramer06

Cavy Slave
Checking their paws for wetness is another sign they could be sick (along with the sneezing). One of our boys seemed to sneeze "a lot" (I'm like you; it's hard to tell what's normal and what's a lot). We took him to the vet and he did have an upper respiratory infection. A clue the vet showed us as well was that his paws were a bit wet/slimy on the sides where he had been wiping his nose. So we'd be looking at his nose for any signs of sickness and of course couldn't see any because he was wiping it all away.

MissFormosa

Cavy Slave
Alton used to sneeze a lot before we had the fleece bedding and were using either Carefresh or shavings.

lilcavy

Cavy Slave
My pigs usually sneeze when they clean them selves. He/she might have a bit of bedding or hay in her noise.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.