Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Just a little big?

PiggyGal

Cavy Slave
I have a female guinea pig, and what i thought was a female guinea pig. We adopted them and the rescue said they were both females. I had them together in a really big cage for about 2-3 months now. But now one (alice) looks like she has a bulge on both sides of her hips. She feels hevier but wont let me touch her at all and thats not normal for her. she is about 6 1/2 months old. I have seperated her from the other piggie for now but what else should i do?:confused:

Ilovemypiggies1

Cavy Slave
She may be pregnant but we cannot tell at all unless we have a picture, even then we cannot be 100% sure. I would suggest taking her to a vet. You may also want to weigh her to see if she is gaining.

PiggyGal

Cavy Slave
Here's a photo of her, taken about 3-4 hours ago. Please tell me what you think! Sorry if the picture isn't the best (she's camera shy :))

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
How old is she? How long have you had her?

Did you flip both pigs over to verify they are both females just in case?

Is she showing signs of ovarian cysts or other hormonal issues?

PiggyGal

Cavy Slave
How old is she? How long have you had her?

Did you flip both pigs over to verify they are both females just in case?

Is she showing signs of ovarian cysts or other hormonal issues?

She is about seven months old. I have had her since she was 4 months. Yes i checked to make sure of the genders like 5 times..(I DO NOT want any babies)

Nope, she is acting normal, she just looks big.

catzeye21138

Cavy Slave
Since you've had her for three months, and she hasn't been in contact with any males, I doubt she is pregant. Guinea pigs are pregnant usually for a maximum of 72 days, and you've already had her for 3 months.

As long as your positive the other is a girl as well, she isn't pregnant.

Deenanicole08

Cavy Slave
Take both to the vet to be sure. I was in the same situation, and even though I checked, I was still mistaken. Somtimes its hard to tell.

MCR_Rox

Cavy Slave
If she is indeed pregnant, you will be able to feel the babies soon. How long has the bulge been there? If it's been there for more than a month or two, she's probably not pregnant. I honestly think you should have a vet look at the bulge in case it's something serious like an abscess or something.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.