Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Vet How far do you drive & how soon does your vet see your piggies?

blessedbeingmom

Cavy Slave
We've been calling around this morning trying to find a vet to see our remaining guinea pig. Our family vet will see him, but he doesn't have any training in cavies. We found one that will see him, but the earliest appointment is Friday, and he's nearly an hour and a half away (and that's assuming the traffic is good, but we have to pass through New Orleans to get there, so that's always very iffy). He is in Metairie. We found another vet who specializes in exotics (in Mandeville, about an hour away), and they actually made us an appointment for this afternoon, but then called back & the vet won't be in this week. They gave us the number for another vet who would see him in Mandeville, but we don't really know anything about this vet.
How far do you typically drive to your piggy vet, and when you call for an appointment, how long is it before your piggy can be seen? I've got to go to work soon, and I am just tired and sad and frustrated right now.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
I have a phenomenal exotics vet that's only about 20 miles from my house. They will see me right away in emergency situations and almost always are able to see the pets on the same day.

blessedbeingmom

Cavy Slave
We are unfortunately in a relatively small town here.

new piggie

Cavy Slave
We've been calling around this morning trying to find a vet to see our remaining guinea pig. Our family vet will see him, but he doesn't have any training in cavies. We found one that will see him, but the earliest appointment is Friday, and he's nearly an hour and a half away (and that's assuming the traffic is good, but we have to pass through New Orleans to get there, so that's always very iffy). He is in Metairie. We found another vet who specializes in exotics (in Mandeville, about an hour away), and they actually made us an appointment for this afternoon, but then called back & the vet won't be in this week. They gave us the number for another vet who would see him in Mandeville, but we don't really know anything about this vet.
How far do you typically drive to your piggy vet, and when you call for an appointment, how long is it before your piggy can be seen? I've got to go to work soon, and I am just tired and sad and frustrated right now.

I live in New Orleans. I think there is a Vet in Slidell. Let me check it out and I will get back to you!

new piggie

Cavy Slave

NicholsS10

Cavy Slave
I live in a small country town, and am literally surrounded by farm land. I have to drive 30 to 35 minutes to see my vet. If I call to make an appointment (he works at 2 clinics) I can get in within 2 to 3 days at the most. If it's an emergency and he's working that day, I can bring them in the moment I call. I just pray I never have an emergency when he doesn't have hours, he's the only vet I trust, and the only one at the clinics that is an exotics. The emergency vet clinic that can deal with exotics is over an hour and a half away. I'm just thankful I've never had to run to an emergency vet clinic.

I also wanted to add, I'm sorry for your loss...

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
My vet is a good hour away. They will see the piggies and ratties on a walk in basis or with an appointment but they don't do after hours emergency care. There is no emergency exotics vet anywhere close to me that I have found.

Froggirl009

Cavy Slave
Thankfully, my vet is about 5 minutes and is the same vet I take my dog to. She works monday through wednesday but does surgerys on thursdays. But that vet is the only one within an hour from my house.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.