Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Do I still need to give them floor time?

lissie

Cavy Slave
I've recently converted my pigs' floor time area into their permanent cage. It's about 4x6 grids. They also have 2x6 + 1x2 loft cage. By the way, I have 2 pigs. There's a ramp from the 2x6 cage down to the 4x6 area. I've noticed that they like to hang out in the 4x6 area and rarely go up to their upper level cage.
1) Do I need to find another area to setup their floor time? I switch their toys and hideys around everyday to keep their cage interesting.
2) Is 4x6 grids big enough for floor time?

Just wanted to add, they do go up to their 2x6 cage at night when I'm cleaning their bottom level cage. Will they get bored staying in the 4x6 bottom level cage?

I think that they still need floor time. Floor time is when they can explore a different enviroment outside of their cage.

I'm sorry because my question is completely off topic. But what toys do you switch around everyday? I'm trying to come up with more toys for my boys and am coming up dry. Please give me a few examples of what you switch around? Thanks!

I'm sorry because my question is completely off topic. But what toys do you switch around everyday? I'm trying to come up with more toys for my boys and am coming up dry. Please give me a few examples of what you switch around? Thanks!

I just move their hideys around, they have cardboard boxes, soda boxes, fleece tunnels, coroplast house that I made from scrap pieces, pvc pipes, cuddle sacks, fedex tube box (broken link removed) (used as tunnel). They also have a stepping stool for hidey house, and a hay rack hidey house I made from grids.

For toys, they have tissue paper roll stuffed with hay, sock, fiddle sticks, bells, cat ball, mirror. Sometimes I also give hay in paper bag.

Last edited:
Off-topic Notice: Let's please get back to the original poster's topic! If you want to continue this off-topic discussion, please start a new thread. Thank you.

Floor time is for a change of view/scenery and to promote exploration and exercise. Floor time is always needed no matter the size of a cage.

Ly,
Do you think my pigs have enough space to explore? Do I need to setup different area for them for floor time now that they are using their old floor time area as a cage?

Then, would it be better to keep them on the top floor and let them out to the lower area every evening?

Thanks

Last edited:
I think it's great that they have so much room! And I would let them have free range of the entire cage full time. I also would still give them floor time, at least a few days a week. Just to make their little lives a little more interesting, give them a change of scenery, more room to exercise, etc.

Do you have the space to make both areas a permanent cage? If so, then I would keep both as their main cage and then set up different areas in the house for floortime. A 4x6 pen is large enough for floortime.

I let my own pigs free range for floortime. I put grids/cardboard up to keep them out of any unsafe areas or to keep them from going under the beds. They can go anywhere that's not blocked off and they have a blast doing so. I set up a couple grids to attach a water bottle, provide hay and places to hide and explore. I just clean up their poo and pee after they are back in their cage. Our carpet is pretty old and icky anyway so a bit of piggie pee isn't going to hurt it at all.

Do you have the space to make both areas a permanent cage? If so, then I would keep both as their main cage and then set up different areas in the house for floortime. A 4x6 pen is large enough for floortime.
The thing is, I don't think I can setup any other space. I live in a 590 sq.ft. apartment. My husband is already complaining that the pigs are taking over too much space. Right now I let them use both area as their main cage, but they prefer to stay on the bottom level.

I let my own pigs free range for floortime. I put grids/cardboard up to keep them out of any unsafe areas or to keep them from going under the beds. They can go anywhere that's not blocked off and they have a blast doing so. I set up a couple grids to attach a water bottle, provide hay and places to hide and explore. I just clean up their poo and pee after they are back in their cage. Our carpet is pretty old and icky anyway so a bit of piggie pee isn't going to hurt it at all.
What do you use to clean up pee? My husband would be very upset if they pee everywhere. They are not potty trained. This is also a rental space, I guess the landlord will be pretty upset if I leave the stain on the carpet.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.