Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Can anyone tell if this pig is pregnant?

jayx2

Cavy Slave
This is my little guinea pig Peanut shes only 4months old so still quite small, not sure if shes pregnant or not but shes started to try and nip my fingers when touching her stomach or sides, have tried to feel but dont want to stress her out! Any kind of help would be much appreciated!

Skinny Pig

Cavy Slave
You should try weighing her everyday. My Sam is possibly pregnant also. I have to keep weighing her everyday to see if she is.

About the nipping. You should try wearing gloves when trying to touch her sides so you don't get hurt.

jayx2

Cavy Slave
You should try weighing her everyday. My Sam is possibly pregnant also. I have to keep weighing her everyday to see if she is.

About the nipping. You should try wearing gloves when trying to touch her sides so you don't get hurt.

Thanks. I dont know if you have much experience but her two nipples are also looking a lot longer? if you know if that has got anything to do with her being pregnant?:confused:

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
How long have you had her and where did you get her? She doesn't look pregnant but you can't tell sometimes til they are at least 6 weeks along?

Is the other pig there a female too?

jayx2

Cavy Slave
How long have you had her and where did you get her? She doesn't look pregnant but you can't tell sometimes til they are at least 6 weeks along?

Is the other pig there a female too?

My other pig is male but he was neutered a while ago, but the vet said she could still get pregnant as his sperm will last for 6 weeks after his op! So thats why i'm not too sure.

jayx2

Cavy Slave
I've had her since she was 3 weeks old and got her from a friends litter. :)

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
My other pig is male but he was neutered a while ago, but the vet said she could still get pregnant as his sperm will last for 6 weeks after his op! So thats why i'm not too sure.
If you knew that a neutered pig retains sperm after a neuter then why in-all-that-is-watermelon would you put him in with a female?! If she's pregnant then this falls under the category of a purposeful breeding. You knew she could get pregnant but you allowed her to be exposed to him anyway?! One has to wonder what you were thinking. Could it be you got a little bit of the "just one litter" itch?

Take the female to the vet and find out from a professional. No one can tell from those pictures and personally I'm disinclined to try to guess/help.

jayx2

Cavy Slave
If you knew that a neutered pig retains sperm after a neuter then why in-all-that-is-watermelon would you put him in with a female?! If she's pregnant then this falls under the category of a purposeful breeding. You knew she could get pregnant but you allowed her to be exposed to him anyway?! One has to wonder what you were thinking. Could it be you got a little bit of the "just one litter" itch?

Take the female to the vet and find out from a professional. No one can tell from those pictures and personally I'm disinclined to try to guess/help.

Actually the male is her father and I thought she was too young to be left on her own when she was used to being with him for the first 3 weeks of her life

gooberific

Cavy Slave
Actually the male is her father and I thought she was too young to be left on her own when she was used to being with him for the first 3 weeks of her life

Okay, I'm confused.

Peanut is almost 4 months old. You've had her roughly 3 months?

How long have you had the father? And when was he neutered? Was he neutered before the litter was born?

The reason I ask, is because it sounds like you took both the father and the little girl when Peanut was 3 weeks, and never separated them... so it's kind of making it look like common sense went out the window.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
You thought it was okay to separate her from her mother at 3 weeks...but not her father? Are you serious or are you playing games?

Are you saying that the father was left in with the mother and pups for 3 weeks after she gave birth? If so then you might want to tell your friend that he/she can be expecting more babies soon.

Did you, or your friend who bred their GPs, do any research at all? Did you bother at any time to ask the vet?

Actually I don't think I want to know the answers you have to give. :headache:

jayx2

Cavy Slave
Okay, I'm confused.

Peanut is almost 4 months old. You've had her roughly 3 months?

How long have you had the father? And when was he neutered? Was he neutered before the litter was born?

The reason I ask, is because it sounds like you took both the father and the little girl when Peanut was 3 weeks, and never separated them... so it's kind of making it look like common sense went out the window.

Well when I got them both Peanut was supposedly a male, so thats the reason why I also took the father because my friend was having to give them all away as she was moving. A week after I had my vet give them both a check up, when i found out she was not a male. Then I had the male neutered a few days later.

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
But you never separated them? Come on seriously.

pigluvinARK

Cavy Slave
Well when I got them both Peanut was supposedly a male, so thats the reason why I also took the father because my friend was having to give them all away as she was moving. A week after I had my vet give them both a check up, when i found out she was not a male. Then I had the male neutered a few days later.

Then take her back to the vet to make sure that she isn't pregnant. That sounds like a good solution.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
If she was with her father after she was 3-4 weeks old, especially before he was neutered, then common sense suggests she probably is pregnant.

Was she with him immediately after the neuter too? Like for the first 3-4 weeks? If the answer is yes, I'd say there's about a 99.99% chance you have a pregnant piggy on your hands.

graycurse

Cavy Slave
But if the piggy's 4 months old now.... wouldn't she have already given birth? Since it's been 3 months since she first could have gotten pregnant, and 2 since she last could have gotten pregnant? She'd be giving birth, like, today if she had gotten pregnant...

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
I'm a bit confused too about your situation but your vet is wrong. It usually only takes up to 2 to 3 weeks for sperm to die out of the boar's system after neuter, if your vet did the neuter right.

graycurse

Cavy Slave
PS - She doesn't look as pregnant at all. If you do notice a little swelling in her abdomen, and her tummy's sensitive to the touch, you should have her checked out. There could be more serious issues, like tumors/cysts/abcesses(spelling?).

Amsley246

Cavy Slave
At this point, there is no way of anyone being able to tell you if she is or not except the vet. It's pretty likely that she could be. I'm sorry to say but what your doing to her is sad. There senstive creatures that deserve better then what most people generally think of guinea pigs. Like Ly said, should have done your research. Sorry if I'm coming off rude and all but I just adopted 3 babies who were born the day I got them and it's terrible they had to go through what they did. They were terrifed and had no idea what to do whatsoever. They had no mother. Just like any guinea pig, there is a good chance she can die giving birth so be very careful!

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
It sounds like they got a missexed pair and they did neuter the Dad at least. How long ago was Dad neutered?

jayx2

Cavy Slave
I'm a bit confused too about your situation but your vet is wrong. It usually only takes up to 2 to 3 weeks for sperm to die out of the boar's system after neuter, if your vet did the neuter right.

In that case then I dont think she will be pregnant as they were seperated for 2 weeks then I put her back with him as they were clearly missing living together. I also checked with my friend she was almost 4 weeks when I got her and the vet said they were okay to go to homes at this point. Also for everyone who is clearly being rude I wish nothing but happiness and healthiness for my piggies which is why I got Tico neutered so they didnt reproduce. I love my pigs and they get the best care and attention possible! :cheerful: (Ps Peanut is due to the vet this weekend just for a checkover to make sure everythings alright).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.