Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cleaning Fly Problem and Parents Are Angry. Help!

Guineapigluver2

Cavy Slave
I have two guinea pigs and about a month and a half ago i was having a major fly problem mostly in my room where the cage is. We wanted to get rid of the problem so we moved the pigs to the basement for about a week and we cleaned my room very well. Then we went to buy new coroplast so that I could build a new cage for them because we thought that the cage might be part of the problem. When i was taking the old cage apart I had to cut the coroplast into pieces so that it could go in the garbage. I found that the flies had laid eggs in the coroplast and they had hatched in there. The flies have returned and my mom is starting to get angry. My dad just noticed today and he doesn't like the guinea pigs already. I was thinking about getting them store cages but I think that would be really unfair considering they have a 2X6 c&c cage (it is split because they dont get along but it meets the requirements for both pigs individualy). I also don't want to have to give them away because that would also not be fair to them because they came from a shelter. I need to get rid of the flies but I'm afraid that they are already in the coroplast. Is there anything I can do to solve this problem? I really love my pigs and I dont want them to have to go to a shelter again. Please help!

Have you tried getting new coroplast? I wouldn't get it from the same place either, but I would call up the place I got it from and let them know what happened? I've never heard of fly eggs in the coroplast...

The coroplast didn't have fly eggs when I bought it because I would have seen them when I cut the coroplast to make the sides. I think that the flies stayed and are using the new cage that I built as a home. I really want to get an exterminator or something here to get rid of them. I would keep the pigs in the basement so that they would be far away from any harmful chemicals. Are there any alternative things that I could use to build the bottom of the cage? Also i have to admit that i have been bad about cleaning the cage. I was thinking about switching back to fleece because of the cleaning tip that I saw posted by ZiggyMama which would cut down on the poop in the cage. I would probably be more likely to clean the cage also because there would be no messy bedding. Do you think that would help?

If you've been bad about cleaning the cage then that's probably been attracting the flies. You could try fleece but you need to clean the coroplast really well and make sure you clean the poops off the fleece when you use it. Try cleaning the cage every 4-6 days max. What kind of pellets do you use? Also what kind of hay are you using? Also you probably need to find out where the flies are coming from to begin with.

I am using oxbow hay and pellets so I don't think that is where the problem is coming from. I am almost positive the flies are coming from the cage because that was where they came from last time. I think that I'm going to clean the cage today and tape off all the places where the flies could get into the coroplast. Also I'm going to try switching to fleece because I used it once before so it should still work.

Before I could find coroplast in my area, and I only had 2 pigs, I used a C&C alternative cage. I used this as the bottom:

(broken link removed)

I then used grids and cable ties as the border. I used disposable bedding, but fleece and towels can be used too. I read somewhere that it's like 12 square feet, more than enough for 2 pigs.

When you cut the coroplast, use clear packing tape and tape ALL the edges so that the individual "tubes" in the coroplast are not accessible. You could also use other things like hot glue, or things of that sort to fill in the holes as well. Make sure your sides of the coroplast are high enough that these items wont get chewed on... My sides in my temp cages are 10-12 "...

Once you have flies, even if you clean often it is sometimes hard to get rid of them.

Try not using a lot of bedding and clean daily for a while. Give them enough to be comfortable sleeping and some for a toilet area (unless you use fleece of course).

When I move my pigs to the garage in mid April, I'll probably go back to shavings, but for the base, I have left over fashion board, it's similar to paneling, it's smooth and shinny on one side and rough on the other. My husband is gonna cut this to shape so I can use and fill the cage with shavings. I was concerned to about flies while in the garage, so as a safe guard, I hung a couple flie tapes around the cage. Let me tell you, I was changing it frequently but I never had a problem with flies in the cage. Spot cleaning helps too. I'm usng fleece currently. I vaccum the poo's out twice a day for them and spot clean their hidey's daily where their shavings are.

Remove any leftover veggies or fresh food if uneaten after x period. That likely attracts flies more than pellets or hay?

I would pour a little bit of rubbing alcohol or vinegar down inside the coroplast, and maybe use hot glue to seal up the edges.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.