Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

We Are Absolutely Happy We Found This Site!

new piggie

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone frome New Orleans. My son wanted a puppy and my husband said no, but agreed to a hamster. Me and my son went to the petstore yesterday lookin for a hamster. Gladly the petstore didn't have any, because my son saw Gina (his new piggie) and fell in love with her. We got Gina and all the crap that the sales person said she need including the crappy instructions on care. It just wasn't enough information for me so I got online. Low and behold! The little care that the sales person said she needed turned out to be alot of care like a new born baby (I was trully amazed). Doesn't matter at this point we have feel in love with our little girl (including my husband). Me and my son went our today and tried to find the grids and couldn't but i did end up finding some items where we ended up making here a larger space than the little tacky one from the petstore (I got jealous of some of the cages I saw). Our Gina needs better than what they offer. Well with that being said, for those who give your input, ideas and your knowledge I am so grateful.

Thank you all so very much. You haven given me and my family great knowledge and ideas on how to make our Gina happy and healthy!

Last edited by a moderator:

new piggie

Cavy Slave
Oh the picture is the new cage we made for Gina. She seems to be happier with the space.

jenniwat001

Cavy Slave
That's great, I'm so glad that you found this site, you are right your piggy deserves better than the petshop said. And it looks like you are making a great start. She is lucky to have found such a wonderful loving home. Once you have got used to her care requirements (this site is great for all the info) then you may want to get Gina a girly friend (i assume Gina is female-please double check and don't rely on the petshop, they gave you poor information on care, who says the sexed her right!). This site really reccommends getting a second pig, but obviously only if you feel you can take care of them both. If you do get her a pal then PLEASE adopt one from a rescue.

Well done on your imaginative cage for Gina, she must be so happy now!

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
Hey Congrats and great cage. Good job with taking the initiative to give her a better life than what the petstore recommended. Welcome and I hope you enjoy the site as much as the rest of us. There is so much to learn. You should take a look at the diet and nutrition section sometime. There's a great chart on there about the veggies they should be fed. If you have any questions feel free to ask someone is bound to answer.

new piggie

Cavy Slave
Yes jenniwat001 we are looking for her a playmate. Even though my son has her spoiled already I know that she needs some company. I have been looking for piggies in our local area and have had no luck (we've only had her two days and knows that she needs a playmate other than us thanks to the site). And yes you are right I better take another look to make sure she is a girl. I would hate to get the opposite sex thinking shes a girl and end up with alot of little babies. We love her but we aren't ready for the babies yet (I'm laughing out loud).

Thanks again for the information!

new piggie

Cavy Slave
Thank you peggysu. I stay on the site looking for things I can give Gina that won't make her sick. I'm in love with our little girl and don't want to do anything to hurt her. So if I ask questions that seem a little obvious please forgive me. I am just trying to make sure im doing the right thing for her.

starshine123102

Cavy Slave
Welcome to GPC!

Gina looks adorable and great job on your cage. Do you have something between the fleece and the carpet though? I couldn't really tell. Just asking to spare your carpet. Shower curtains or linoleum work well if you can't get coroplast.

Other places you can look for adoptable pigs is petfinder.com, craigslist.com (but be careful of disguised breeders), possibly at a cavy savvy vet's office, Humane Society, or ASPCA.

Here is a good page on sexing your pig. This site has tons of other really great medical info too. Guinea Lynx :: Sexing Guinea Pigs

And the diet chart Peggysu was talking about: https://www.guineapigcages.com/food/Veggie-and-Fruit-Charts.pdf

new piggie

Cavy Slave
Yes starshine123102 there is something between the carpet and the fleece. I wanted her to have more space. I figured since coroplast is a type of plastic I would get a durable plastic to make her a nice space quick. I went to walmart bought 2 of the large flat bottom bins, we cut the sides off so she would have a flat bottom, then put a piece of an old quilt and newspaper between the fleece. I was trying to give her something soft and comfy. She seems to like it better than the store bought bedding. She made me feel good when she went to sleep in what we built last night versus the store bought bedding and cage.:tearsofjo

Last edited:

starshine123102

Cavy Slave
Yes, I agree that fleece is much nicer to sleep on than hard wood shavings or balled up paper. lol

new piggie

Cavy Slave
Ok for dumb question number one! What is the best and easiest way to check to see if Gina is truly a female. I know what to look for, but I really don't want her to get upset.

starshine123102

Cavy Slave
If you read through the guinea lynx page I posted I think it says to press her (him:eek:) with your thumb. I don't have a second pig and my girl (I hope) hates to be held so I've never really done it since the need to know is not of pressing importance. Just make sure that someone is holding her securly so she doesn't get injured by squirming too much.

new piggie

Cavy Slave
She didn't like that very much. It just pained me hearing her whine while my son held her upside down. So yes Gina is a female! Thank you!

Furry's Friend

Cavy Slave
Welcome! Sounds like you are off to a great start. Keep up the research and enjoy your new piggie. I, too, am very thankful for this site!

Skinny Pig

Cavy Slave
I hope you and your piggie get along great and I hope that you can find Gina a roommate!

IluvePiggies

Cavy Slave
Welcome to Guineapigcages.com.
It isn't a dumb question to ask what gender Gina is but I'm glad she is a female. Carly and Sandy(My two Guinea Pigs) say hello to Gina!

new piggie

Cavy Slave
Welcome to Guineapigcages.com.
It isn't a dumb question to ask what gender Gina is but I'm glad she is a female. Carly and Sandy(My two Guinea Pigs) say hello to Gina!

Thank you IluvePiggies. We have added a new playmate for Gina. Her name is Semaj. She doesn't like to be bothered very much, but she coming around. With that being said Hello to Carly and Sandy, from Gina and Semaj!

IluvePiggies

Cavy Slave
That's good that you added a playmate for Gina. Since Semaj doesn't like to be bother with, just talk to her in a soothing voice and maybe just try to pet her in the cage so she knows your hands are safe from harm.

claire

Cavy Slave
That's brilliant that you found a friend for Gina so quickly. It's heartwarming that you found this site and have basically thrown everything the pet shop told you out of the window. I hope you and your piggies will be very happy. Which you will, 'cos you're off to a flying start. ;)

new piggie

Cavy Slave
Thank you all for the support! I didn't know that this was going to be such a big job. But I won't let my girls down, and will do anything to make sure they're healthy and safe.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.