Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

I have ideas...are they safe?

MissFormosa

Cavy Slave
Hello -

I am a new guinea pig owner (rescuer) and am in the process of building the C&C cage. I must admit, I know nothing about grids or coroplast so I am trying to get all my information together before I build something unsafe.

I had a few ideas and wanted to see if anyone else had done this and if so, is it safe? I couldn't find my answers by searching in the forum.

1) Can you put super fine sandpaper or those things you stick to the bottom of your tub on the ramp? I was thinking that not only would it provide traction, but it might help keep nails in check. I have an adult male, so I wouldn't want to injure his man bits because they do seem to drag behind him a little.

2) I saw the grids I need on Staples.
Black Mini Wire Grid Display | Staples®

(I know there are probably cheaper ones out there, but the free delivery to my local store seems smart - I read that shipping can be expensive because of weight)

I noticed they had a few other things that were appealing to try:

3) Could you use these corner shelves? I was thinking maybe to put high on the cage sides (at or near the top) to hang toys away from the side of the cage:
Black Triangle Grid Shelves | Staples®
You think you could also use them to build like a mini step for the pigs to play on (covering it with coroplast)?

4) And from another website called Store Supply Warehouse:
Store Supply Warehouse | Retail Store Supplies, Fixtures & Display Cases

Do you think you could use one of these small baskets to hold hay?
White 12" x 12" x 8" Mini-Grid Basket With 4H" Front (30318) -- Mini-Grid Basket With 4H" Front

5) For a store called Allen Display:
Store Fixtures from Allen Display - Slatwall, Display Cases, Shelving, Mannequins. - Allen Display

Could you use something like this shelf (I think I'd have to find a longer one) to make a second level (of course, covering it in coroplast). I was thinking it could hold weight better or maybe would be better than say two grids linked together:

White 1/4" Wire Gridwall Flat Shelf 24"W x 15"D

6) Lastly, from a store called Carlson Store Fixtures:
(broken link removed)

Can you use these connectors instead of cable ties for extra cage stability? Safe?
(broken link removed)

Thank you so much for your information!

Wendy :goodvibes

BTW - I am a sucker for saving money. I hope it is okay to post this. I use this site all the time to get coupon codes for online merchants. It has worked for me about 80% of the time. Just thought I would pass it along. I saw some Staples coupons to try.
Staples Coupon Codes - all coupons, discounts and promo codes for staples.com

1. I wouldn't suggest sandpaper. I think some members use things like a piece of carpeting. If you want to help with the nail trimming people place bricks under water bottles. This will collect any drips and they will step up on it to get to their water and helps file them down a bit.

2. Those grids looks safe. No more than 1 1/2 inch holes. Bed Bath and Beyond also carries safe ones. Be super carful about buying them at Target.
https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...t-new-target-grids-dangerous-please-read.html

Guinea Lynx :: Housing

3. You probably could use those things to hang things from but many of us here find that homemade toys like toilet paper rolls cut lenghwise stuffed with hay are more appealing than mirrors, and jingly bird toys.

4.You could use those baskets. What a lot of people do is take an extra grid, bend it, then secure it to the side of the cage for hay. Take a look in the Photo Gallery under hay racks to get some ideas.

5. Not too sure, I don't have an upstairs. However, keep in mind that an upstairs does NOT count towards overall cage space. The bottom floor needs to be the 2x3 for one pig, 2x4 for two pigs etc. etc. BEOFRE you add a top level. Upper levels count against the bottom floor because the ramp and possible supports take away from running space.

6. I don't see why you couldn't use those connectors, but believe me zip ties are plently strong. I have a 2x3 and when I go home on occasional weekends to visit my parents it gets stuffed in my car. (My car has more damage from the cage than the cage does from the car!)

Good luck with your cage/s!!

1) I wouldn't use sandpaper, it's a tad too rough I would imagine for their feet. Scrap carpet is fine to line the ramp. Here are what some other people have done with their ramps
https://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/showgallery.php/cat/509
https://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/showgallery.php/cat/523

2) Those grids look fine, but they are a bit pricey. I would check Bed, Bath and Beyond first, you can get 24 grids/23 connectors ~20 bucks. If you are very lucky you can find safe ones at target for the same price, but I wouldn't recommend it.

3) I don't see why you couldn't. Just seems very expensive, $12 for one..wow.

4) Honestly, both of those links took me to the main webpage so I dont know. But there are a wide variety of things you can use as a hayrack. I just use a bent piece of left over grid.

5) Again, I don't have a second story so, I'm unsure.

6) Absolutly, they look great. But zip ties are very effective and much, MUCh, cheaper. You can by a pack of like, 200 zip ties at walmart for like 10 dollars I believe.

#3, all you really need to do is put some string from one side of the cage to the other (or use a grid like I did to hang fleece from), and use clothespins to hang some parsley on (they think food makes much better toys). Also, as far as a pig shelf to play on/under, take a look at bunk beds in the photo gallery here.. It's the same idea, only using a bent grid that you'd already have from your grids you get to make the cage.

Wow! I love the idea with the brick for keeping the nails in check.

And - I love the idea with the clothespins for providing some treats.

Thanks so much for your advice...this is very helpful for a *newbie*!!! :confused:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.