Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Happy new owner in Georgia.

Sabalon

Cavy Slave
Hi from south of Atlanta.

I have two daughters (9 and 7). For Christmas the oldest got a Petz Hamters game for her nintendo DS. The goal is you take care of virtual hamsters. The youngest started playing it and wanted a hamster. I'm not to keen on them, and researching we found Guinea Pigs to be a much better sounding pet. My wife was against my choice of rat :)

So, this last Saturday we became the proud owner of Jumanji - a shorthaired cavy. I think Harvey Dent is a better name since one half of the face is brown, the other white. But oh well. We did all the typical things - bought a cage at a pet store, didn't know what we were doing, etc... But happy kids.

My only experience in the past has been with some rather mal-adjusted piggies. Jumanji was quite calm and sweet. So I spent most of Saturday night reading about piggies online. I'm a terrible one for personification, and since Jumanji just sat there (tramatized by the change in environment no doubt), I did something that I would have never thought I'd do, but that made the girls very happy. On Sunday we went out and got some additional needed items for a happy piggy - some Timothy hay (WOW!), a bigger cage for now until I can make from for a C&C, and most importantly a second piggie. The second is more of a traditional bad-hair one. It was originally named Rita (aka Reet-a), then Isabella, then Christine, then Furball or Fuzball. The 7 year old finally settled on Christine (after Christine Daae from Phantom of the Opera).

We are still getting use to this whole thing - I'll say that my wife and I are quite taken by them. Thankfully since they don't come in a can and smell bad, our cats could care less about them and not consider them a food source.

I think they are still getting used to everything. It is fun to watch them. We have been blocking off a large part of the kitchen for floor time. So far, Jumanji's favorite items are a paper bag and an empty pop-tart box. It's hilarious to hear the girls say "Oh no Jumanji - not in the bag again." Christine is still in shock over the move I think. Though as long as there is hay around, she doesn't seem to care.

We are still geting used to the sounds they make and what they mean. Jumanji love to make noise right after going to the bathroom to let us know. Also, last night each girl was sitting on a couch with a piggie laying on them. Both the girls and the piggies looked pretty happy, with them both purring, which was nice to see.

It's amazing what a motivational tool they can be as well. I think they set a record cleaning their rooms yesterday so they could play.

Anyway, I'm trying to learn as much as I can about them as not only will my wife and I probably end up in the long run taking care of them once the cuteness wears off, but also because I have found myself quite smitten by them. I'm just having a hard time getting used to their skittish nature. I'm more of a cat person myself. I've had a history of cats that hold their ground no matter what so this is quite different :)

Congratulations on your new family members! There is a lot to learn on this site! If you bought your guinea pigs from a pet store you might want to check their sex and make sure they are the same sex so that you don't end up with babies! Here's a link that show's you how and what to look for: Guinea Lynx :: Sexing Guinea Pigs

Also this is a pro-rescue and anti-breeding site. Most of of the people on here don't support pet stores and we encourage people to adopt.

The "purring" noise is actually a burrr and it's a noise to let you know they don't like what you are doing. Here's a link with some information about their behavior Guinea Lynx :: Behavior

Here's a great nutrition chart on what to feed your pigs. https://www.guineapigcages.com/foru...cavys-diet-read-me-nutrition-charts-info.html

If you have any questions just ask. A lot of people on here are really knowledgable and you can get some great information.

Congrats on your new piggies! The noise after going to the bathroom does worry me though. Do they squeek like they are in pain? It could be a sign of stones.

Hello im also a new owner in Georgia. What county are you in? I adopted two cavies. They love me like they've known me forever! Good luck with being a first timer!

Congratulations and welcome! I'm very happy to hear that you are taking so many positive steps in the right direction, and that you are already planning on being the main care-taker! Peggysu gave you lots good information.

I am also concerned about your pig that makes noise "right after" going to the bathroom. Are you sure he/she is not doing it during? To me it sounds like a UTI (urinary tract infection--my boy pig just got over having one), but stones are possible to. Squeaking while peeing means that the pig is in pain. You will want to take it to a vet. Make sure the vet is guinea pig savvy.

Make yourself familiar with Guinea Lynx :: A Medical and Care Guide for Your Guinea Pig it's a great website with lots of vital information.

Feel free to ask as many questions as you have about your guinea pigs, there are many knowledgeable people on this website that have your guinea pig's best interests at heart. WELCOME!

Welcome from another Georgian. I'm from South of Atlanta as well, Henry County actually.

Congrats on your new piggies. Hope you enjoy your time here on the forums.

Henry county as well here. Out in Ola.

I'll have to see if she is still squeaking while going or not. The squeek is more of the wheeking sound (again from wikipedia). We initially took it to mean "Hey...come see what I did - and clean it up".

The noise doesn't sound much like the burring. It sounds a lot more like the rumbling sound on the Wikipedia entry now that I listen. Hard to tell - will have to pay closer attention to that as well.

Ah ha, me too! Well, not quite Ola. Just off New Hope Rd :)

Congrats! Where did you get them from, hopeful shelter??

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.