Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Lethals Another question on lethals

redd1800

Cavy Slave
Hi Everybody

I have a male black and rust coloured abby, with some health problems that appear similar to the problems with the lethal cavys. But his colouring is very different from the lethals I've read about. He has black eyes and no white hairs.

His health problems include poor eyesight, with cateracts and one eye is unusually small (no changes since we got him from the pet shop at 8 weeks). His body size is very small (in length). He is thin, 750 grams - he has regular checkups at the vet, and has put on over 100 grams over the past 6 months. Blood tests have shown that his pancreas and liver are not working as well as they should. The vet believes this is an ongoing problem - a deformity rather then something that we can fix. he has had a few doses of anti-biotics, and i still give him regular doses of probiotic. He is two years old.

He is also easily agitated, and stressed by any changes to the run, largely I think due to his poor eyesight. However, he is doing very well at the minute.

Question is - Is my Punky a lethal?

danni

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
No, neither of your guinea pigs are lethals. Lethals have no pigmentation--they are always all white.

Perhaps you are wondering if your pigs are roans (colored with white hairs or even white with white hairs) your pigs may be roans but roans don't suffer from the health problems that lethals do--they are simply carriers of the genes that cause the "lethal" problems. Most likely Punky is simply an unhealthy pig. Probably one with genetic issues caused by inbreeding/poor breeding. Remember, breeders usually breed for pretty colors in GPs, NOT for health.

redd1800

Cavy Slave
Thank you :)

Apart from our own accidental pregnancies, I don't know the parentage of any of our cavies, goodness knows that else is hiding in those genes :(

(Just to clarify my above post, Punky is my only cavy with these health problems, his buddies all healthy)

salana

Lethal Guru
Cavy Slave
Since his liver is so bad off, make sure you keep on top of his health. If he gets a URI or something and stops eating, you will want to respond more quickly than for other pigs, by handfeeding. Not eating is a big stress on the liver.

redd1800

Cavy Slave
I've syringe fed him a few times before, when his appetite has vanished. Nutripowder, and/or pellet mush (hot water over the cavy pellets). he tolerates about 10ml (2 5ml syringes) 3 or 4 times a day, but only for 3 or 4 days. His appetite so far has returned by this stage, he fights the syringe and won't tolerate it. He seems to accept this short burst, and it seems to be all he has needed - so far. This has always gone alongside a vets trip, antibiotics, probiotics, and a good look at his run to see if I've made any changes that might have stressed him out.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.