Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Neutering/Spaying My little boy is going crazy!

judeluvspigs

Cavy Slave
I have a male pig named Sage..he's about 18 months old. He's always been very active running laps and popcorns throwing litter every where. Today I heard a noise and loooked in and he was trying to climb out of his cage!!! He's never done that before! His cage sits next to where I have 3 girls, one is his sister, He can see them but they're in two separate cages, it's mainly so he doesn't get lonely. He misses his sister alot and I'd really like to have one of them fixed so they can share a cage. Why has he started trying to climb out? I had to return to work so I fixed up a lid for his cage, but my daughter just called and said he DID climb out and thank God he landed in a basket of clothes I had put there under hiis cage for just that reason. I've heard such horror stories about getting pigs neutered or spayed, I live in Illinois near the capitol of Springfield, if anyone knows a good vet in the area. Can they be spayed and neutered safley?

gooberific

Cavy Slave
If you have a cavy savvy vet who has performed neuters, I would look into getting him neutered so he can live with the girls. In the meantime, try to get a lid that stays closed! Boy pigs can be determined.

judeluvspigs

Cavy Slave
Thanks Goob, when I got home and was able to watch him it appears he's terrified of the fleece! I just put fleece down thursday night and he wants to cower in the corner where the bedding is. I feel so bad for him! I'm going to switch him back to bedding today, see if he does better. And yes I did fashion a cover for him to keep him safe. He actually did get out yesterday and landed in the clothes basket I had under his cage for just-in-case senario. I had it padded really well. Now he just cowers either in the corner or in his pigloo. It's got to be the fleece becasue that's when the behavior started. He wouldn't even walk on it to get his lettuce. I hate seeing him like that he has such a sweet friendly personality. But I am looking into neutering, I have 3 girls and 2 are around 7, when they go I want to be able to put him in with his sister, so spaying and or neutering has always been a goal.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
I have three neutered males and two spayed females, all who came through surgery with flying colors.

Neutering is less invasive but not without risks. The key is finding a very competent guinea pig vet.

Guinea Lynx :: Finding a Veterinarian

judeluvspigs

Cavy Slave
Thanks Paula, I have the name of a Vet in Champaign Illinois, about an hour away, I just went through their website and one of the Dr.s actually has guinea pigs for pets, makes me feel better to hear from others who have had theirs done though!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.