Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

How do I prepare for the birth of my little girls pups?

Deenanicole08

Cavy Slave
Can anyone guide me in helping my little girl prepare for mother hood? She's 16 weeks old. So still pretty young and is expecting (accidentally, my pigs are now seperated, we all thought they were both girls). I've never had one have babies so I'm very inexpierenced. Can someone please help me? I'm really nervous and worried. I'll post a picture of her soon. I need to upload them.

Thank you.

Deenanicole08

Cavy Slave
I'm giving her unlimited alfalfa, and she has KM's alfalfa choice pellets, because I wasn't giving her as much calcium as she needed earlier because I didn't know she was pregnant, so I'm good on that part.

krittercrazy

Cavy Slave
1-Have a cavy savy vet available
2-Baby proof your cage. If you have a cavy cage, raise the sides with extra coroplast, cardboard or double up the grids to make the holes smaller
3-Start feeding her, if you haven't already, alfalfa based pellets. Babies will need these for about 6 months.
4-Get some critical care from your vet in case you have to hand feed for some reason.(Never hurts to have this on hand)
5-Watch for signs of not feeling well-not eating, hunched up, etc. Get to vet immediately
6-Have scales to weigh babies and mom regularly to be sure all are eating well
7-Remove male babies at 3 weeks. If you have another male they can be put in with him. Be sure his cage is baby proofed too. If you are like me and have troube sexing them, plan on taking them to the vet to be sure.
8-Enjoy having the little ones running around.
9-https://www.guinealynx.info/reproduction.html take time to read this

They are born fully furred and up and running. They will be eating all same foods as mom withing a few day. You can handle them immediately. Have you thought about if you are keeping them or finding them another home?

Deenanicole08

Cavy Slave
I'm trying to decide. I'm so attached to Charlie and have had him for almost a year, so I'd like him to get him neutered so they can still stay together and possibly rehome the babies. I'm still contemplating. I really didn't want boys, because as bad as it sounds, I dont have faith in myself to be able to handle/stomach impaction if it becomes an issue.

But I have her on a lot of alfalfa, veggies, pellets, and hay. She constantly has clean bedding, incase she goes into labor. I need to baby proof though, but I'm waiting on the grids. I found steel mesh grids for 10 dollars! I'm picking them up tomorrow and she'll have a nice new cage of her own rather than being in a divided cage next to Charlie. I had to quickly build a wall in between just to seperate them, since I dont have enough extra grids to build another right now. I only had 3 extra. But tomorrow they will have their own cage, no loft, just basic cages since I'm lacking the room for 2 seperate elaborate cages.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Another important thing is to watch for signs of toxemia. Her breath will smell like finger nail polish remover if she has toxemia. If that happens, get her to a vet asap because toxemia is a very serious condition.

Deenanicole08

Cavy Slave
Today she began coughing. I was at home all day untill around 2, and she wasn't coughing. I came home around 10 and she was ok, I gave her veggies and as they were eating them, I noticed someone would cough. So I wathced them to see who it was, and it was my Baby. She eats and drinks normally (more so now) she doesn't have crusty eyes, she doesn't sneeze or wheeze. She has no signs of a URI other than she coughs now and then. If I take her to the vet they cant medicate her can they? This is stressful.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.