Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New Petstore Cage

Looks expensive and in quality, a cheap version of a C&C. For those out there without access to C&C materials, I suppose this could be an alternative but it also looks hard to put together.

That is awesome! I think your pig/or pigs will love it!

It looks pretty good. I agree that it may be pricey, but if you can't get the supplies for a C&C cage or consider yourself "all thumbs", it is a good possibility. I like the idea that the top is part of the whole. It looks like the best "pet store" cage that I've seen.

I like that they also have the minimums set up and on display, along with "research." This is great for people who didn't do their research and are more prone to getting something they find marketed rather than thinking outside the box on how to make it yourself (I can't think of another way to explain it; I always look at something and say 'How can I make that?')!

Plus, with the options for grids shrinking (I still cant find BLACK 9-hole grids at a store nearby me, and I don't want to pay shipping on such heavy things!!), this is a good alternative. I like that it provides the option for a kitchen and explains WHY.

Good find!

The problem that I see is that inside divider. If it could be taken out to allow full floor space for running mad laps. I also wonder if it's actually 8 sq. ft. inside usable space (not overall outside dimensions)? If so, then it may be ok for 1-2 pigs but no more than that. It seems like finally there is a company at least trying to make a cage with the correct square footage.

The problem that I see is that inside divider. If it could be taken out to allow full floor space for running mad laps. I also wonder if it's actually 8 sq. ft. inside usable space (not overall outside dimensions)? If so, then it may be ok for 1-2 pigs but no more than that. It seems like finally there is a company at least trying to make a cage with the correct square footage.
Yes, I still think that a homemade C&C cage is the best, but it's great to see a "closer-to-required-dimensions cage." The link I posted was the Guinea Pig Habitat Plus. This is the original model: https://midwesthomesforpets.com/category/default.aspx?maincatid=27&subcat=4&submenu=0&catid=143

Personally, I think its awesome that there is a commercial company out there finally getting on the bandwagon and promoting SPACE. But I do have to say, it looks like we all know where they got their ideas. :)

Wow - that is really good to see. It's a start at least.

I agree that actual c+c cages are best, but I have noticed many people simply can't be bothered to make one and insisit on buying "off the shelf". It would also be good for people who can't find the supplies (would be helpful in the UK, coroplast is hard to find!)

However - I would be far more impressed if they were not still selling those appalling rabbit cages!!! I mean seriously - about half the minimum recommended size and a grid floor! Seems crazy that they now emphasise the importance of giving guinea pigs appropriate space and caging, but then make rabbit cages that are so awful.
Maybe it would be worth contacting them and asking them to make a rabbit friendly version of their pig cage?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.