Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

How long until the scratching stops?

Jingobug

Cavy Slave
My piggies have both gotten itchy recently, so as a precaution, I treated them for mites yesterday with Ivermectin as per the instructions on Guinea Lynx.

I'm wondering how long it takes for the itching to go away so my poor girls will stop scratching? Also, how soon does Ivermectin actually kill the mites - if I cleaned their cage 4 hours after treating them, are they good to go? Or is there a certain amount of time I should allow before giving the cage a thorough disinfecting?

Basically I want to make sure I do everything I can to make sure that the mites go away and stay away (that way if it isn't mites I can figure it out sooner and get them to the vet to try something else).

Last edited:
You generally won't see improvement until after the 2nd or 3rd dose, depending how bad the infestation is.

You need to do min. 3 repeat doses as the mites die off and new mite eggs hatch.

Sorry. Meant 3 doses spaced 7-10 days apart. You need to redose them in 7 days. And then again a week after that.

Wow, I knew I had to do the repeat doses like that, but I thought I'd see some improvement after the first dose. Poor itchy babies.

I'm going to be bringing my cavy to the vet today. He's been itching a little too much for my comfort, and even though he seems like he's fine, I'd rather not take any chances. Besides, I think it would be a good thing for him to go and get checked out. A woman who works at Petco recommended this vet to me; said he's very nice, has a good 'bedside manner,' and is really good with small animals. I'm kind of looking forward to it.

I'm betting he'll prescribe either ivermectin or the other medicine I've read about (I forget the name). I also want to ask him about these wood blocks I have in his cage. They're from an old childs play set, straight wood and are untreated, but I just want to make sure they're okay for him (he loves to chew on them, and I haven't seen any problems, but it doesn't hurt to ask).

So I brought my cavy to the vet, and it went quite well. First, the vet was a really nice guy, very friendly, and he was very inquisitive (in a caring way). He checked him out, and said he looks quite healthy. He looked at his skin (with some special eye gear), but didn't see anything suspicious. However, he decided to play it safe and give him a shot of the ivermectin (poor thing weeked quite loud). Now I have to go back in 10 days and do it again, just in case he has eggs in his skin.

Overall, I think it went well. I'm glad I now have a vet close by that I can trust.....

So I brought my cavy to the vet, and it went quite well. First, the vet was a really nice guy, very friendly, and he was very inquisitive (in a caring way). He checked him out, and said he looks quite healthy. He looked at his skin (with some special eye gear), but didn't see anything suspicious. However, he decided to play it safe and give him a shot of the ivermectin (poor thing weeked quite loud). Now I have to go back in 10 days and do it again, just in case he has eggs in his skin.

Overall, I think it went well. I'm glad I now have a vet close by that I can trust.....

I've never heard of a vet giving a shot for mites... Could someone correct me on this; that doesn't seem like a good thing. Mites affect the outside, so I wouldn't think a shot (given inside the body), would do much good.

Ivermectin can be injected, that's fine as long as the treatments are not more than 7-10 days apart.

I just learned somethign! Thanks salana!

Uh-oh. I just got 2 more guinea pigs, cagemates for Biscuit. The 2 are sisters, in the same cage (18"x30"), discovered that one sister has lice, don't know about the other one. Uh-oh. Biscuit has ear mites, she's in her own cage for quarantine. Should I just have a big ol' community piggy vet visit, get them treated then put them in their C&C cage? Or do lice and ear mites take more than one dose? Should I split up the sisters so they don't somehow get lice on both again if it gets cured on one?

Uh-oh. I just got 2 more guinea pigs, cagemates for Biscuit. The 2 are sisters, in the same cage (18"x30"), discovered that one sister has lice, don't know about the other one. Uh-oh. Biscuit has ear mites, she's in her own cage for quarantine. Should I just have a big ol' community piggy vet visit, get them treated then put them in their C&C cage? Or do lice and ear mites take more than one dose? Should I split up the sisters so they don't somehow get lice on both again if it gets cured on one?

I'd say that since the two sisters are together get them both treated for lice.

If the two sisters came in contact with Biscuite, (ex. same room, same car same cage) they'll needed to get treated for mites. If that happens, Biscuit will have to get treated for lice also.

Treat all the pigs for both lice and mites with advantage. This way it all gets taken care of and nothing gets spread back and forth.

I have never ever know a vet to treat mite by injection. Personally I would not put my cavies through the pain as their hides are very thick compared to other animals.

To treat the mite, Trixacarus cavia, in the worst stages is best to give 0.05 of a ml of Ivermec orally and again in 7 - 10 days. In some cases where a cavy is severe it can be repeated in 5 days.
Prevention is the best.
Ivermec can safely be placed behind the ear of 2 - 3 drops. This will treat running lice and also treat them internally as when they clean themselves it is slowly digested. Also treating them orally twice a year ( april & dec ) when the mite are the most active.

The mite bury under the skin and lay their eggs and once hatched the proceed to the surface again. They are so small and very hard to see with the naked eye. It is the egg casings that are left behind under the skin is what is causing all the trouble. The body is trying to get rid of these which in return is causing the cavies to scratch anormously resulting in breaks in the skin to rid them. The cavy will emaciate and die if not treated.

Hope this helps.

is best to give 0.05 of a ml of Ivermec orally and again in 7 - 10 days.
They need dosed based on weight.

Actually, Injections are the norm when vets administer ivermectin.

Why do you say mites are most active in April and Dec? Mites do not survive off the host so that is not possible.

And administering it topically in that bald spot behind the ears is fine but they do not ingest it. GPs cannot reach behind their ears to groom there. The ivermectin goes directly into the blood stream since you are getting it in that hairless spot and works that way.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.