Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Happy Dance!! (New Cage!)

shamrockmommy

Cavy Slave
Dh built for me today a 3' by 5' shelving and coroplast cage with a 1' by 5' loft!!!!! :D We need to work more on the ramp, but it's awesome!

I'll work on getting a pic one of these days. There were some VERY happy boys tonight (and me too!)!

Currently using triple crown bedding (shredded cardboard) in it, have some fleece and mattress pads being shipped to me, so going to give that a try. Definitely will make a kitchen area for a litter box as well, when I go to fleece.

It took a TON of bedding to fill both areas. And there was some serious popcorning! :)

This is an upgrade from their 2' by 4' cage, which the 3 of them quickly outgrew.

I have not tried aspen/kd pine yet but wondering how bad that stuff will work into a texel's coat? Anyone with experience?

Thanks!

ava&lilly

Cavy Slave
wood shavings are not a good idea at all.

starshine123102

Cavy Slave
If you could I would try switching to fleece. With fleece, nothing would get stuck in a texel's fur. Unless of course they like to roll aroung in hay!:D

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Safe wood shavings can be used. Kiln-dried pine and aspen are both suitable beddings.

Lorie.J.Call

Cavy Slave
I have not tried aspen/kd pine yet but wondering how bad that stuff will work into a texel's coat? Anyone with experience?

Perhaps if your Texel enjoys having his/her ringlets worked on—and on a frequent basis—then aspen or KD pine might work for you; neither worked well for my situation. Baudman doesn't enjoy having his hair worked on, and he's the skittish type on top of that. When I adopted him, he already had a few mats in his hair, and I wasn't able to keep up with all the new ones created while I was working my way through the aspen and KD pine that came with his dowry. At the worst point, the hair on Baudman's butt area looked like it had been back-combed for a bouffant hair style.

I've been using pelleted litter in the kitchen tray for about two months now, and as far as I can tell, Baudman is accumulating no new mats, although I do find hay in his hair. I'm still slowly removing a few of the old mats though, each week at weighing time. I'm giving serious thought to giving him a short haircut so he can get used to having his ringlets worked on while they grow out.

shamrockmommy

Cavy Slave
He doesn't mind grooming too much- he's pretty vocal but he does hold still. I'm a stickler when it comes to mats (being a dog groomer, I've seen way too many!) so I do actually brush through the curls with a chris christensen pin brush. it doesn't pull the curl out.

Part of me wants to try the k/d pine or aspen because it's so cheap but the other part doesn't like that foresty/pee smell that builds up in their coat. I like clean and fresh pig scent :)

ava&lilly

Cavy Slave
i agree. I like using carefresh with some softsorbent lavender mixed. my pigs smell nice :)

Lorie.J.Call

Cavy Slave
He doesn't mind grooming too much- he's pretty vocal but he does hold still. I'm a stickler when it comes to mats (being a dog groomer, I've seen way too many!) so I do actually brush through the curls with a chris christensen pin brush. it doesn't pull the curl out.

Part of me wants to try the k/d pine or aspen because it's so cheap but the other part doesn't like that foresty/pee smell that builds up in their coat. I like clean and fresh pig scent :)

Why not experiment for a short time with one and then the other, and see how each of them work for you? With your background, you should be able to stay on top of the litter and hay before they get too worked into your Texel's ringlets. If either the aspen or KD pine work for you, then you can decide if they're cheap enough to put up with the smell!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.