Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

What is it?!

Patchatch

Cavy Slave
Unfortunately I have no pictures. So I'll have to describe this.
While holding Patch I noticed she has a sort of red lump on her back end. I felt the fur around and everything was smooth and then got lumpy there. What is it? Does she need the vet?

Also:
She's really sensitive there.
Doesn't seem to have any other symptoms
Weighs 2 pounds (her normal)
Eyes are fine, ears are fine
The red part seems like a bump that sticks out. I parted the fur and found that the skin was perfectly fine and then got irritated and bumpy there.

Patchatch

Cavy Slave
Okay I searched a whole bunch of sites and they said the same thing: abscess. I need to get her to a vet. But we don't have any exotic-only vets out here. What if I take her to a dog-hamster-guinea pig-cat-etc vet?

Toadies

Cavy Slave
Print what info you can regarding good and bad medications (antibiotics in particular) for piggies as well as any other info that you think might help you communicate with your vet. Did you check Guinealynx? There's a link on this site's home page. It's an excellent source of info. If it is an abcess, it may burst to the outside or it could go systemic, which would not be good. It does need attention though. Just arm yourself with as much info as you can. If your vet is not willing to do some research for the best approach, find another vet. Hopefully your vet is willing to do what is necessary for the best for your baby. Best wishes and keep us posted.

Patchatch

Cavy Slave
Thanks. We got Patch some medical attention and it turns out that what we saw was the abscess after it drained itself. Patch's in pain and we got her some things to help it. Only .005 of a ml does she actually get and it's fine for her. She has extra meds

Patchatch

Cavy Slave
Uh,
"extra meds" should be "extra vegs"
xD

Patchatch

Cavy Slave
Okay, update...

Patch is getting a little better. She's eating more and drinking more, which is great. We have her in a medical pen as to not upset the abscess with shavings. We had her checked out and were told to put saline solution (salt water) or hydrogen peroxide on it 2-3 times a day, as well as polysporin. She is given 1/5 ml of Bactrim daily

Gemiinii

Cavy Slave
The saline solution is better to use than the hydrogen peroxide.

buttons

Cavy Slave
If you are using hydrogen peroxide - only use 3% (diluted with water) I use this for my acne - it's not that bad really.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Acne and abscesses are different issues.

Hydrogen peroxide is not a good cleansing agent as it will prevent healing and can kill cells/tissues around the abscess.

The best things to use to flush abscesses are chlorhexidine or a weakened betadine solution. Sterile saline solution can be used if you don't have access to the other ones. Peroxide should be avoided unless you need to keep a deep wound open.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.