Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New Pig on the block!

Jillie Fish

Cavy Slave
Hello! After many hours of reading here, I finally decided to introduce myself. I lived on a farm a majority of my life, and very much in love with animals. I am currently seeking a degree in psychology and I am a very new guinea pig owner.

I've learned so much already and I am so grateful. I learned not to use vita-drops in water, snack shacks, generic foods, too much of one veggie and much much more.

Now, onto my piggy. I have a male piggy, that is a little brown / black colour. He kind of reminds me of a beaver. I've lovingly named him Bandit. I literally found him outside a dumpster, in a box, near my condo. I took him to the vet, he was malnourished and had lice. He's currently lice free and putting on some weight! For now, I only have one, much to my dismay. I have read multiple times that guinea pigs require more than one. So, I will be looking into adopting another one as soon as possible.

I have a regular store cage, at the moment, I am currently planning out a C&C one. :cheerful: So, no worries. I know you all must be concerned! I give him as much floor time as possible because I am unhappy with his cage.

Lastly, I have a question about a couple of videos I found.
On this youtube profile, YouTube - WeeCompanions's Channel
There are some videos explaining how to clip your Guinea Pigs nails, and How to bathe your guinea pig. (I tend to learn better through the videos) I was wondering if these are acceptable practices.

Thank you for your time, and advice!

Tamgirl1983

Cavy Slave
Welcome ! I too have learned alot and continue to learn everyday. Good job taking such good care of your piggy! He is lucky to have you. Good luck with your C&C cage . They are alot of fun to build.

guineapigluver1

Cavy Slave
I watched the bathing video and I heard her say she gets one once a month, she does NOT need a bath once a month! Read this about clipping nails: Guinea Lynx :: Nail Clipping
Also a tip on clipping if you aren't sure about where the wuick is you can gently press with the nail clippers and if he jerks than you are too far back.

Jillie Fish

Cavy Slave
she does NOT need a bath once a month!
If she doesn't need a bath once a month how often should I bathe a guinea pig? I don't want to do it too much or too little.

Thank you for the link and the tip! Much appreciated.

fourboys4now

Cavy Slave
Long haired piggies need baths more often, but if your baby is a short hair, baths will need to be done on an as needed basis. Mine get one every 6 months or so. Please share pigtures of your baby!

guineapigluver1

Cavy Slave
Sorry I didn't reply sooner, I would have said just what fourboys4now said.

Jillie Fish

Cavy Slave
New Pig on the block!

my baby, being petted by my other baby. lol. I'm so happy, Bandit is looking so much better!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.