Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Reducing Cage size?

chexxy

Cavy Slave
I dont know what to do. Right now I have 2 boars in a 4x5. However, I am considering making it a 2x5 on a stand like this-

https://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/3451

My Reasons -
  • Chex used to always popcorn and run and loved floor time in his petstore cgae. Now he never popcorns. Or anything.
  • My room is literally taken over. Therefor, the pigs live in there cage and never get floor time. I feel bad like, they dont get out.
  • If I make it smaller, they can have floor time everyday, and i wan it raised for easypetting and cleaning.
So what do you guys think? I know bigger is always better, but it seems to me like Chex and Chester arent getting the attention they deserve, because I have no room for floorime, and honestly, no room to sit down for lap time. I dont want to sound selfis, but it would be nice to be able to sit down, and hangout in there. With the pigs. My room is unbelievbaly small so under cage storage is a plus, and my room is bassically piggy proof, so they could go under the cgae during floor time and stuff. I am so confused! :crazy:

chexxy

Cavy Slave
2x5 is certainly adequate for two boars. If you'll be happier with the 2x5, I'm sure they will as well.

If you have a free corner, you also might consider something like wiggely_narco's cage. It is effectively 2x6, and has a loft:

https://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i180/trippin_911_angel/100_6415.jpg
Unfortuantly I dont have enough grids. And I cant buy more, because I am not allowed. they are afraid I will take over my whole room and make it a giant C&C cage, there fore they restrcited my grid buying lol !

wiggley_narco

Cavy Gazer
In my opinion, a 2x5 would be perfectly fine for 2 boars, provided they aren't overly aggressive toward one another. You need room, too, so the large cage taking up your entire room is a good reason to downsize a little. Being able to have floor time would be great also. However, don't attribute Chex's lack of popcorning and running to being in a larger cage. Pigs are always happier in a larger cage; don't think that the petstore cage made him happier just because he popcorned and ran when you took him out of it. What that means is that he was so cramped in the petstore cage he was excited to get out and have room to run around. He's just gotten used to having a lot of space now; the newness of having lots of space has just worn off. That being said, a 2x5 should be fine. Just don't ever consider putting him back in a petstore cage because you think he was happier there--he wasn't, I guarantee it. Maybe you could consider adding a loft area, also. Good luck!

wiggley_narco

Cavy Gazer
Actually, since you already have a 4x5, I think you could effectively turn that into a 2x6 with the grids you have... but I could be wrong. I just got off work and can't think straight right now. LOL.

But you could do a 2x5 L-shaped to save more room, if you'd like.

steve_and_pigs

Cavy Slave
Unfortuantly I dont have enough grids. And I cant buy more, because I am not allowed. they are afraid I will take over my whole room and make it a giant C&C cage, there fore they restrcited my grid buying lol !

It will take a lot of grids to do a raised cage with storage space underneath.
How many grids/connectors do you have?

chexxy

Cavy Slave
I planned it out actualy, and I have just enough grids to do a 2x5 with a stand.
I would never ever go back to oetstore cages! Dont worry!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.