Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

My long winded introduction...

• Thread starter SerpentineSylph
  • Start date

SerpentineSylph

Cavy Slave
I've been a lurker for quite sometime, finally created an account a few days ago, and continued to lurk! lol

Hi! I'm a piggy pal over in Maryland, United States. My mother and I use to rescue piggies when I was 9-12. We even had a local Petsmart where some of the employees would call us exclaiming "Someone dropped off another guinea pig! Can you take it?" The girls working there at the time were not okay with that Petsmart's method of euthanasia (which consisted of taking a LIVE animal, sticking them in one of those carry home fish baggies, and sticking them in the freezer to freeze to death. I saw the bodies with my own eyes). I'm hoping they've at least improved that, seeing as it was over 8 years ago.

Anywho. I decided I can no longer live piggy-free (and my fiance wanted some, too!) and we're in the process of finding a few (2-3) piggy boys to adopt! (I've always been partial to the males, myself.) I've been reading everything I can possibly get my fingers on about piggies on here, guinealynx, and cavyspirit to make sure I still know my stuff and learn more! Just a simple matter of common sense and knowledge I already had kept me away from a lot of other websites. I've already got my 2x4 C&C with an L-shaped 2x2/2x1 loft, toys, towels and fleece (I spent $25 on some special antipill that I couldn't find anywhere else and adored...), food, hay, pen for floor time (they get free roam of the bedroom!) and much more. I want everything prepped and ready for when I adopt my new boys, whenever that may be.

We looked at one that we both fell in love with today, drove an hour to and from just visit him at his foster house and fill out an application. We'll be hearing within the next few days if we can adopt him or not! I cannot wait! I'm calling a vet tomorrow to inquire about a guinea pig she rescued that a little boy dropped and, as a result, had to have his little leg amputated. He's just a young thing, too. Which will do well because the one we went to see today (the foster's rooting for us to get him) is 3 and 1/2, so it should help with the smoothness of the introductions.

Anyway, here's a pigture of the possible adoptee we saw today:

My long winded introduction...

(Now, don't any of you go out, try to find him and steal him away from me! ;))

Wish me luck!

Last edited:

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I wish you luck on getting both of the little guys. I give you kudos also for doing your homework and adopting. Sounds like you and your boyfriend will be great piggy parents! Awful, awful, Petsmart, for what they did 8 years ago. I sure hope they have changed their ways as that is just heartbreaking! Keep us posted. Love pictures always love pictures.

fourboys4now

Cavy Slave
My boys are keeping their paws crossed you get both boys. I love all 6 of my boys so much. They are the best things to come into my life in a long time. You better be glad my husband won't let me get more or I would love to get the one pictured above, such a cutie! *wink*

SerpentineSylph

Cavy Slave
Thank you both for the warm welcome! :cheerful: And I'm certainly hoping for more pictures to come.

I am too nervous to find out whether or not we get him, and see the little three-legged guy. I have to wait until tomorrow to call the vet and it's killing me! I called around 5-7pm Friday and they said that vet was out until Monday. All I could think was someone else was going to get him, but the vet tech seemed to be tickled that someone was inquiring about him, so I took that as a good sign. I asked the little guy up there's foster mom if there were any other inquiries about him and she said one mom who wanted it for her 8 year old child's guinea pig - who was female. When the foster mom told her how much neutering the piggie would cost ($110), she decided she was no longer interested. lol

It'll take max of 5-6 days to hear the verdict, and the foster mom said to give her a call if I don't get any word. This is driving me nuts to find out whether he'll be mine or not. Has anyone else had this much stress waiting to find out whether they can adopt the piggie or not? It's absolutely killing me!

wiggley_narco

Cavy Gazer
I think it's wonderful you're willing to adopt both these boys, especially one with special needs. Good luck!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.