Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Proud to be a member...

piggiepie

Cavy Slave
I found this site by searching the web. My piggies and I are so glad to have found you all! I will try to make this short, but we have a story.

Miss Sallie became a member of our family one day when my daughter and I went to "Pet-you-know" to get doggy biscuits. My little girl is nine and very, very talkative. She struck up a conversation with an employee about the different animals in the store. The lady told my daughter that they had one GP that was free, because someone "surrendered" her. She was really cute, so we brought her home. The store cage, pellets, bowl, giant ball (horror), harness and leash (again, horror) and water bottle were all free.

We arrived at home and immediately set up house in my daughter's room. That night I got online and started searching for anything on guinea pigs. One of the first sites I found was Cavy Spirit. Needless to say, I didn't get much sleep that night, and Sallie was brought into the family room the next day.

ALL of the information given to us at the store was wrong! Thank goodness we found such wonderful information on this site and GuineaLynx. My DH built a C&C cage for her with two stories.

At the beginning of September, we went to a shelter to find a roommate for Sallie. They had two GP's, one male and one female. Of course we took the female. We set her up in the store cage for quarantine, and I took her to the vet the next day. We had been told the two were found straying, and I wanted her checked out. Turns out, she is a he.

I just couldn't take him back to the shelter. I just couldn't. He has a damaged eye (who knows what happened). Mr. Moe Piggers has recently been neutered. Now they live together in a custom condo, two stories, approximately the size of two 2x4 C&C cages.

Never thought much about guinea pigs before. Oh My... they are so interesting and funny, and I love these little bits so much! Thank you all.

babytulip07

Cavy Slave
I am so glad that you have learned so much and have obviously had a good experience! I had three guinea pigs when I was younger without ever knowing all the things I did wrong. I'm really glad that we both found this site!
Your cage looks really cool by the way! Do your pigs actually use that tunnel thing?

envisionary333

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum! You did a very good thing by getting your boy neutered so he can stay with his girlfriend, I'm sure he's very pleased! I have one neutered boy with ten girls and I think he's probably the happiest guinea pig alive! ;) You sound like a very responsible pet owner to have done the quarantine and the vet visit, otherwise you might have ended up with a pregnant piggy as well! Those piggies are very lucky to have you.

socal805

Cavy Slave
What a nice story! You sound like a wonderful piggy mommy! Now we need to see pigtures!

piggiepie

Cavy Slave
Update on our piggie household...

Sadly, I lost my little Moe Piggers last week. He had developed an abcess from the neuter, and since he was in poor health when we got him from the shelter, he could not get over it. Our vet went back in twice, and i nursed him long hours, but the baytril wouldn't get rid of the infection.

I finally decided to end his suffering. The infection had moved up into his abdomen, and caused problems with his legs, the poor baby wouldn't do much but sit in the same spot. For a while he ate ok, but then I resorted to pellet mash when he stopped eating. Things just went downhill. I couldn't stand to see him suffer.

babytulip07

Cavy Slave
I am so sorry that happened to poor Moe! I know how hard it is to lose a pig, my sympathies are with you! He was an adorable little guy!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.