Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

My cage

heatherbunnie

Cavy Slave
Your cage looks good to me! I'm going to be adding another level on top of mine, you could always do that if you want it to be a little different?

wickedrodent

Cavy Slave
It looks really great!

The only thing I am a bit worried about is that I see a dogs head sticking in the cage on the left of the picture. I would be really worried about this, do you plan on covering the cage, or putting it up higher?

gpigluver14

Cavy Slave
I agree with heatherbunnie, maybe just add another level or two. And I hope your dog gets along with your pigs to be so close to them. But other than that, you have a very nice cage!

seagirl96

Cavy Slave
Some dogs are no problem. I have two dogs & eight piggies who have gotten along safely for years. The gp's are on the floor or one cube up all the time in open cages. Although I might not trust a dog from a hunting breed like terriers or basenjis because their instinct says to capture that little animal, my little lap dog and my golden retriever have been fine. The golden & the piggies go nose to nose all the time. Very cute.

wickedrodent

Cavy Slave
I understand that some dogs totally ignore pigs, and seem to get along just fine.. but even if they aren't a 'hunting type dogs' doesn't mean that something couldn't happen..

In my opinion there is no reason to take that risk, putting a lid on the cage, and/or putting the cage in a room where the dog isn't allowed worth the extra effort just in case something did end up happening..

I have 9 dogs, 3 of which are considered 'hunting type dogs' as they are all or part Dachshund.. 4 of the 9 dogs are under 10lbs, 3 are under 20lbs and the other 2 are about 40lbs. They are all incredibly sweet and have never hurt another animal, or shown the slightest insinct to hurt another animal (including squirrels and such) but I still have my hamster, and cage for guinea pigs (for when I get them) in a room that none of the dogs are allowed in. If I wasn't able to do that, I would at least put the cage up high and add a lid.. its best for the safty of the animal.

seagirl96

Cavy Slave
Wow! That's a lot of dogs! Dachshunds are so cute. My dogs don't come into the piggy room unless I'm in it, which I am a lot because my pc is here. They leave and stay out when told, too. You have an excellent point. I would NOT trust the average dog with no pig experienceto understand that they are to be left alone.

My first two pigs spent the first four years on a table so my bichon was totally used to them before they were ever on the floor. Poor Boomer, the golden, is a little afraid of piggies because Peanut the evil pig nipped his nose when he got too close. Peanut is the boss of everything.

gpigluver14

Cavy Slave
I have a golden retriever as well who just loves the pigs, because she found out that their poopies make a delicious treat!! She knows where they come from, so she will nudge their rumps as if trying to push a little poopie out and thus have a little snack. Sometimes she can be a little rough when doing this so I have to watch her whenever she is very close to them. But when they are in the cage she is fine.

My cat on the other hand...I have to very closely supervise when he is in the same room as the pigs. Let's just say his hunting instincts take over when he sees them disappear in a tunnel or start running laps. He just can't handle it. But I don't think I could ever trust him with them.

And the other cat is scared of them, so no problems there...

Tulia&Susie

Cavy Slave
Nice cage and setup. Like wickedrodent said I would see that maybe you could bring it higher or have a cover. I can trust one of my dogs in my room with the piggies but I am always in there if she's in there just in case.

shellie77

Cavy Slave
The dogs snuck in there while I was taking the pics. I am planning on putting it up higher but I am very careful about making sure the door is shut or keeping up with the dogs. My house is pretty small so it is not usually a problem. I think a second story might be too much for me right now. I just love these little guys so much. This morning they were out weeking for some food and just waiting. They really are cool little pets.
As for the cage being plain is there anything besides a second story I can do?
Thanks for all of your advice and input.

seagirl96

Cavy Slave
I like to make life more exciting by changing everything when I do the big cleaning on Saturday. New houses made of cardboard boxes, pieces of flooring tube to crawl through, Toy swaps,and a biiig pile of hay are all fun. Piggies are so cute when they are totally amazed by these changes. They run & explore and wheek all about it to each other. It doesn't have to cost much to please a piggy. This time of year, a branch from my sugar maple is very exciting and yummy. Someone on here said to put things in the middle so the outside can be free for running. That works well too.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.