Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Completely heart broken :(

this_lil_piggy

Cavy Slave
For those of you that question the importance of having your pig seen immediately if they have any decrease in activity or change in behavior, this is my story of how quickly things can go down hill.

Friday I noticed Chloe wasn't coming out to eat her veggies (she is usually the first one out begging for veggies and luvins). It alarmed me, but I had seen her out munching hay and moving about earlier so I wasn't sure there was a big problem. I removed her from her cage, fixed up a box for her to keep beside me so I could monitor her intake and output for a little while. It became apparent within a few hours that something was wrong...she stopped eating anything at all, would turn her head away from veggies, and had only had 2 or 3 poops. No other symptoms were apparent. I fixed up a mash in my processor with skinless peppers, pellets, and water and attempted to syringe feed her. I managed to get small amounts in her, but she was completely reluctant and wound up gripping her mouth shut. I tried to work the syringe in at the side of her mouth, tried forcing my finger in to get it open...nothing worked. Within one more hour I started noticing her eyes and nose gooping and crusting up. We never made it to the vet. My precious girl passed away, before we could get her in anywhere. :weepy:

I am just speechless. She went from perfectly normal, to not acting quite right, to dead, in only a few hours. There was no coughing, or sneezing or anything outwardly obvious to warn me that she was harboring an URI until it was too late. The only initial sign I had, was her acting a bit off.
It just goes to show you, how important it is to pay close attention, and act on subtle changes, asap.

Chloe was my heart. She was my only people pig. The only one that loved human interaction and even begged for it. I love all my pigs, but Chloe was my pick, my pal, and completely irreplaceable. I am soooooo incredibly sad.

RIP Chloe baby, you'll never know how much joy you brought to me.

Aww I am sorry to hear this! My thoughts are with you!

Oh gosh, I am so sorry. Poor little piggy, may she rest in the Rainbow Bridge.

I'm sorry for your loss. Thanks for sharing your story.

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your wonderful girl, Chloe. You obviously had a tremendous bond, one which will never be broken. I understand your pain, and send you hugs.

Thankyou also for sharing your tragic story - I'm sure it will help others in the future.

RIP Chloe.

I'm so sorry to hear about Chloe. What beautiful pictures to remember her by.

That's unbelievable. I'm so sorry. Do you think that maybe in a way it was better for her to go so quickly, rather than suffering for weeks? Whatever you do don't blame yourself, you gave her a wonderful life.

Oh, TLP, I'm so incredibly sorry. What a sad story. Chloe was a beautiful girl and she knows how much you care and love her. You did everything you could to help her. Hopefully at least your tale will motivate some others to get their pigs to the vet ASAP. You're in my thoughts; I'm so sorry once again. Godspeed, Chloe!

I am so very sorry for your loss.

I'm so sorry. Chloe was a stunning pig and she knows just how much she is loved.

What an awful way to lose her! Your post brought tears to my eyes as it's obvious how deeply you loved Chloe. I'm sure she loved you just as much.

And for once I can say I truly understand. I lost my only people pig (all black too) last month. It is so, so sad. But it does get better as you start remembering the life more often than the death. I hope your heart heals quickly.

My thoughts are with you.

I am sorry for your loss. (hugs)
Your girl looks like my Mollie. And I have a white one too, Cinderella!
The pics you have are adorable.
Shellie

Thanks for all your comments guys. I appreciate it. :)

I am going to have to avoid this post for a while. Every time I open it and scroll past her pics I fall apart. I don't think I had even realized HOW attached I had gotten to this precious little soul. Approaching the piggies cage totally sucks right now, I keep wanting her to come running out to me, and when she doesn't--I cry. I tried to take the other 6 pigs out for the first frolic in the grass of this year today, and I cried. The Pew girls are depressed, and have been pouting and arguing with each other since Chloe left. *sigh* I am just a miserable mess right now.

So sorry to hear that. I've only had my girls for a month and I know I'd be hurt if they were gone. I hope you can find another to bring you more happiness. They certainly cheer me up on a bad day. :weepy:

Aww I'm so sorry for your loss! I started crying when reading your post it's so sad. She had such a great life with you and there was nothing you could have done to prevent this. The way she gone down so quick I doubt even a vet could have saved her. I wish you all the strength!

I'm so sorry for your loss. I know how bad it hurts. At least Chloe is not suffering. Shes at rainbow bridge playing with all the other piggies and excited to see her family again someday. Don't worry hun, it will be okay. I'm sure Chloe wouldn't want you upset. Set an example for the younger girls and be happier. :)

I am very sorry for your loss. I understand how difficult it is to go to the cage after losing one; it just doesn't feel right. It does get easier with time and the other little munchkins will help you get through this. Again, I am sorry.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.