Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

You'll always be in my heart, Cookie

Iotanine

Cavy Slave
I posted on here a few days ago about my sick, 7 year old guinea pig, Cookie. I was able to get my parents to agree to take him to the vet. Unfortunately, his vet had moved to Alabama suddenly 2 weeks earlier. So I called around to find a new vet, but none of the vets that could see guinea pigs were in their office. So I made an appointment for today. Unfortunately, last night, at about Midnight, Cookie took his last breath. He was having problems standing up, so I decided to hold him for a while before I went to bed. While I was holding him, I could sense that his body was slowly shutting down, so I just decided to stay up with him until he passed...Even though I know he was going through pain as he died, he still gave out a happy squeak as he was laying in my arms, and licking my hands. He was such a great guinea pig, and such a momma's boy! He was so lovable, and the most spoiled out of all the guinea pigs I've ever owned. I feel so guilty about your death, Cookie. I'm so sorry! I should have been a better mother to you, and I know I wasn't...But you loved me anyway. And I just want you to know, Cook, that no matter how many other guinea pigs I may own, no matter how much I may love them, or they may love me, it will never replace your love. They will never replace you. You were one in a million, and I love you so much! I hope you knew that...

And thank you to all those who replied back to my forum asking for help. Cookie thanks you, too, I'm sure. :)

Don't feel guilty. 7 years is a great life for a guinea pig, and that shows that you were a great mother to him. I am so sorry for your loss :(

You can only do the best you can, and it sounds like you did. Cookie loved you, I can tell because you said he was licking your hands. He was saying Goodbye. 7 is a good age for a pig, so you took good care of him. Holdng him in his final moments shows how much you loved him back. You'll see him again, one day....RIP Cookie. Sorry for your loss.

I understand your pain, and you can always take comfort in the fact that you gave Cookie a great life for a long time. It sounds like he appreciated your being there at the end with him, just as you were there for seven years. You were indeed a good Mom to him, and even though it's so hard to lose them, it's worth all the wonderful years of joy they give.

Such a sad story but you were obviously a good piggie mama. May he rest in peace. Was Cookie your only pig?

Such a sad story but you were obviously a good piggie mama. May he rest in peace. Was Cookie your only pig?

Yeah, he was my only one. Not my first, and he won't be my last. :) Thank you all for such nice comments - its always hard to grieve for a lost pet, but you have all made it easier for me. :)

Don't be too hard on yourself. It's sounds like you went above and beyond for Cookie. :love: Which tells me you were more than a fantastic piggy mommy. My heart goes out to you, and to little Cookie.

He lived for 7 years, that's a wonderfully long time for a guinea pig. You obviously took wonderful care of him. Don't beat yourself up over his death. Just remember all the wonderful times you two had together and know that he felt your love for him at the end.

As I type this, I'm crying over your story. Sending you healing energy and white light.

:weepy: Sorry for your loss hun!

I'm sorry to hear about Cookie's passing -- you loved him so much and those 7 years you had together proves it! I'm betting he's bouncing around at Rainbow Bridge tell the other furbabies about you. You'll see him again there. We're sending you wheeks and hugs!

You had such a sweet guinea pig! May he rest in peace!

Don't feel guilty, 7 years is a very good life for a guinea pig. It was his time to go and you were a great piggy mommy to stay with him until he passed on! I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm sure he loved you so much and knew it wasn't your fault that he passed.:sad:

Awww I'm so sorry .... these little guys and girls really can get into your heart huh...

my little girl just died today she was 6 years old. Very sad. I'm glad you were able to be there with him... maybe it soothed him a bit.

Sincerely,
Joanne

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.