Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Determined to Destroy

Gina Marie

Cavy Slave
Ace, my two year old "new" piggy hates...and I cannot stress this word enough...being caged. He's fine by himself while I'm at work but once he spots me coming in through the door Ace knows that he's going to get some floor time.

I let him play, for about a half an hour before I put him back into his cage to take a "pee" break. But instead he pulls and yanks on the metal bars until I let him out again.

Needless to say last night I bought a box of the 14.5" grids from Bed, Bath and Beyond, put them together in a rather handsome six foot by two foot L shape and placed Ace in it to run around before I make the coroplast bottom.

Well he went right to the grids and began to pull and yank trying to destory them. Eventually he figured out how to lift up the entire structure and wiggled his way out from underneath.

Is there any way to prevent this or is anybody else having this problem with their piggy?

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
Is he caged alone? If so he is probably lonely and wants to get out to find a friend. Neutering him and adopting a female for company, or another male he gets along with, would really help him

To keep him from lifting the bars use more grids to make a bottom as well.

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
He's lonely. Guinea pigs are extremely social animals, he's trying everything he can do get attention. Adopt him a same-sex or neutered buddy to play with when you're not around.

dextersmycutegp

Cavy Slave
Thta sounds very similar to the way Dexter behaved before he was neutered and moved in with my girls. He was always wheeking and chewing on the bars of his cage.
As soon as he was able to live with the ladies, he calmed down a lot and he seems quite a bit happier and healthier too.

Gina Marie

Cavy Slave
Ace will be getting a male buddy soon. I've only had him for about two weeks so I wanted to give him time to adjust to my home and to get him to the vet for a check up before I adopt him a friend. ^^

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.