Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Support

Lyah21

Cavy Slave
I'm currently in the process of building my guinea pigs a new cage. I've decided to go with a cage consisting of three 2 x 4's on top of one another. Half would be for the girls and half for the boys. I currently have the first and second level built but I have stopped because I feel that it is not very secure. I am leaving the front row of grids off so that I can make a door to each level. Can the first level support the second and third level without it having the front grids for support? If not, then what can I do to give it more support? On the second level there is a row of grids splitting it into two 2 x 2s. Thanks.

this_lil_piggy

Cavy Slave
IT can work, the key is lots of zip/cable ties. Ziptie every single grid together, preferably in two places on each one.
It would offer even more stability if on the front you fastened one grid on each end on the front, and just made your doors 2 grids wide instead of having the whole front of each level open.

Lyah21

Cavy Slave
Thanks. Should I zip tie it all together even though I am using the connectors?

DaCourt

Cavy Slave
YES...I zip tie everything. It just seems more stable that way.

this_lil_piggy

Cavy Slave
Definitely! I would not risk a 3 level cage without zipties. If you ever have to move the cage around a bit-to sweep behind or whatever-it is not uncommon for those connectors to pop right off the cage. If you go the extra mile and $2 bucks, the zipties will make it so a 100 pound rottweiler couldn't bring the cage down.

Lyah21

Cavy Slave
I've decided to go with a 2 level cage. I'll zip tie it all up. I don't see how the connectors could pop off considering that I have to use a hammer to get them on and off. But I'll use the zip ties anyways. Thanks.

TX_2_Pigs

Cavy Slave
II don't see how the connectors could pop off considering that I have to use a hammer to get them on and off.

It just makes it more stable by not letting it have any sway.

DaCourt

Cavy Slave
Yeah...I thought that too about using a hammer...first time I moved it....about 5 of them popped off.

Lyah21

Cavy Slave
Yeah...I thought that too about using a hammer...first time I moved it....about 5 of them popped off.

Wow, my cage has been moved around and none of them have popped off.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.