Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Pig cage/care revamping!

Opalinesque

Cavy Slave
(first post time! I've been lurking for a while, though)

So, I have finally convinced my mother to get a bigger cage for my boys! We currently have a petstore-type cage... a bit bigger than average, but still waaaay too small. We had a C&C cage before that, but it didn't work (I couldn't get it put together correctly, and it kept falling apart, so Mom threw it out.) We're going to be getting a plastic kiddy pool once they're in stores again and using that; I only have two boars, so that should be good.

The problem is, what to do for a kitchen? I'd like to use a large litter pan or a plastic shoebox (or two, since otherwize it would be crowded), but I'm not sure where I would put it. Usually that kind of thing goes in the corner... but pools don't have corners.

I'd like to build a second lever for the hayloft purposes, and also so I could use hammocks; I've tried using cozies, but they always get litter and poo stuck to them. A hammock would only get hair, and maybe some kicked up litter/poo, but it would be cleaner.

Of course, that would involve building a ramp, too... Anyone willing to help me brainstorm and design this sucker? I need it to look clean and put together (or my mother will veto the idea. :p).

Also, what is the best way to spot clean litter and generally keep it looking nice? We had fleece at one point, but it ended up being covered in white and brown spots, and just smelled (although that was partly my fault. I didn't clean it enough.) I'm just starting to make sure they get unlimited hay and fresh foods; is there anyway to keep the (wet) food from being covered in litter and the cage from being covered in hay (as well as the floor surrounding the cage)? The boys tend to take a bite out of food, drop it, and then discard it as unfit for pig consumption because it is covered in litter. They often do the same with the hay.

Any help is greatly appreciated! :D

Hm, working with a kiddie pool sounds really complicated. What exactly was the problem with the C&C cage? Maybe we could just help you work on those probelms instead.

I would think that a kiddie pool might not be the best cage because they could chew on the plastic and pop it if it's inflatable.

Oh, the pool would NOT be inflatable.

The C&C... well, the coro didn't come in big enough pieces where I am, and I had to tape two pieces together. Unfortunately, the joint collected pig poop and pee and ended up molding v_v The corners collected gunk too, and they wouldn't stay either, and the grids got chewed and rusty.

Most of the problems, actually, were MY fault; I hadn't been taking as good care of them as I should have. If I had cleaned it more often, and properly, I probably wouldn't have had most of those problems. As it is, though, my mother will not allow any more fleece or C&C cages due to my carelessness.

If we had the money, I would go for one of the pre-cut C&C cages from this website. Unfortunately, we don't, so... kiddy pool it is!

I know a couple of people here have pool/cages, and Seagull's Compendium uses one as part of a cage system, so I'm not too worried about safety or space.

...Hmm, perhaps I could put a small step stool (or two) in the cage, and build a small hayloft on top of that?
I could also probably use the stepstools as places to hang the hammocks, if I taped small hooks to hang them from on the underside.

Trying to build a ramp and hayloft in a kiddie pool sounds really complicated to me!
C&C cages are easy to clean, quick to assemble and easy to change around into different shapes. I think with a little help you could make one work, so I will try to solve some of the problems you had before.
The cubes shouldn't rust, I think maybe you got a cheaper brand or something. Mine have a sort of plastic coating so they stay looking nice. If the pigs chewed them you could have coroplast inside the grids, and higher up the sides of the cage, this way they can't chew the grids and also can't chew the coro.
When you tape the coro together using a thick tape such as ducktape should hold it together well, and you could cover the joint with extra pieces of waterproof tape so it didn't get messy. An alternative would be linoleum.

The white spots on the fleece are deposits from the wee; I find they come out easily with some vinegar and water. Try asking your mum to read this thread on fleece: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/bedding-hay/21568-fleece-project-study.html - it's really helpful and explains how to wash it and keep it clean & fresh.
If you still want to use a loose bedding like aspen or carefresh, try putting a brick at each corner of the cage. This will stop the bedding getting into the edge of the coro and making a mess. To clean it out, pick up the obvious poops and wet spots each day and add a bit of fresh bedding. Each week, sweep it all out and wash the coro with vinegar and water. This should keep it smelling nice!

If a C&C still isn't possible, I was thinking you could get some grids and build the loft and ramp, then just stand it in the pool?
I don't know if this will help at all...!

Yeah, no c&c or fleece is the bottom line. I'm going to be using aspen, covered in Carefresh to cut down on cost. (I know about the white spots, btw. For some reason, they kinda rotted the poo into the fleece. Vinegar didn't work at all on the poo-rot.)

As for haylofts, I think I've got it figured out! I'm going to use Rubbermaid footstools. I'll cover the top in contact paper, wall off the top so that there isn't too much hay and food scatter, and then figure out a way to rig a ramp.

I'll probably make two to cut down on territorial squabbles; the pool will be big enough to allow that... especially since they can run underneath the stools without any problems. I can also hang the hammocks underneath.

Thank you, guys~

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.