Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How to make a cat proof cover?

cinn&sprinslave

Cavy Slave
I am looking into making a cat proof top for one of my cages. The cage is in my room and one cat seems to have a fansination with the piggies, so just to be safe I want to make a cat proof cover. Does anyone know how, I looked at the pics and couldn't figure out how. I want to make one out of cubes not wirte shelving. Any help would be great.

Thanks In Advance,
Cinn&sprinslave

Last edited:
Oh and I was hoping that maybe the cats might be able to sit on the cover, but it doesn't really matter, it was just a hope. But I can't have everything.

The way I think would work would be to put together the cubes like you're making a side to the cage. Then use cable ties to attach that. Then make another one and so on until the top of your cage is covered. The last one that you put on only attach the one side of it. That way you can lift it up and get into the cage. But the cat can't because their weight will hold it down.
I hope that explained it. If you have a cage that is 3 cubes deep, then you could attach the middle one so that it was totally stationary and the other two can be opened. Basicly you use the cable ties like they're hinges.
Hope it all works out for you and that I was some kind of help. =-)

manda81 said:
The way I think would work would be to put together the cubes like you're making a side to the cage. Then use cable ties to attach that. Then make another one and so on until the top of your cage is covered. The last one that you put on only attach the one side of it. That way you can lift it up and get into the cage. But the cat can't because their weight will hold it down.I hope that explained it. If you have a cage that is 3 cubes deep, then you could attach the middle one so that it was totally stationary and the other two can be opened. Basicly you use the cable ties like they're hinges.
Hope it all works out for you and that I was some kind of help. =-)

Thanks the cage I am going to make a cover for is a 2x4 cage. If I make a cover will it make it harder for me to clean the cage? I am just wondering. You were a lot of help, thanks.

I would think that it would be a little harder to clean, but if it keeps your piggies safe I would think it's worth it. That and when it came to a all out cleaning you could just snip the cable ties and take the whole lid off. Or just don't attach the whole thing to begin with. Just set it on top of the cage. I use two pieces of wall board or panneling as a lid. That way I can take it totally off.

manda81 said:
I would think that it would be a little harder to clean, but if it keeps your piggies safe I would think it's worth it. That and when it came to a all out cleaning you could just snip the cable ties and take the whole lid off. Or just don't attach the whole thing to begin with. Just set it on top of the cage. I use two pieces of wall board or panneling as a lid. That way I can take it totally off.
what I am thinking of doing is making a 2x5 top, and just not connecting it to the actual the cage just having it sit on top of the cage. Or just a board with lots of holes drilled in it for light. Oh I would be using mesh cubes because I don't want the cats to stick their paws through. I am a little worried though because the mesh cubes are only 13 in. wide not 14 in. wide.

Last edited:
The board would work. I'm home all day so I can take the lid off mine and let the light in. I just watch for curious kitties that want to know what that noise maker on the table is. But I've found that on days that I have to do running if I put the lid on she just lays in the corner and chills. I only have a temporary cage because I'm moving. It's made out of one and a half for the playpens you can get a WalMart right now and then has a wall board bottom. That's why I use the top I do.

manda81 said:
The board would work. I'm home all day so I can take the lid off mine and let the light in. I just watch for curious kitties that want to know what that noise maker on the table is. But I've found that on days that I have to do running if I put the lid on she just lays in the corner and chills. I only have a temporary cage because I'm moving. It's made out of one and a half for the playpens you can get a WalMart right now and then has a wall board bottom. That's why I use the top I do.
Oh! Your temp. cage sounds pretty cool.

Ooo- I just came up with an idea. I am going to make a frame type thing out of wood that sits on top of the piggies cage, but it will have screening or wire to keep the cats out. But first I will have to see how much it costs comparred to the cube cover. I decided not use the board. Because piggies need lots of light, just not directly on them.

Last edited:
cinn&sprinslave said:
Oh! Your temp. cage sounds pretty cool.

Ooo- I just came up with an idea. I am going to make a frame type thing out of wood that sits on top of the piggies cage, but it will have screening or wire to keep the cats out. But first I will have to see how much it costs comparred to the cube cover. I decided not use the board. Because piggies need lots of light, just not directly on them.
That would work. I don't think it would be to expensive. And the screening would keep the cats out. My cat has only gotten in my cage once. It was kinda funny when it was all over and I had checked the piggy over like 3 times. The cat just sat there and looked at the pig while it ran circles around her. They had met before then during floor time. My cat laid outside of her playpen and the sniffed eachother through the bars. Under strict supervision. The poor cat just didn't know where she was kept till she heard Squeeks begging one day when she heard a bad rattle. Now I just keep the lid on the cage when I'm gone so she doesn't decide to play rough with the piggy.

manda81 said:
That would work. I don't think it would be to expensive. And the screening would keep the cats out. My cat has only gotten in my cage once. It was kinda funny when it was all over and I had checked the piggy over like 3 times. The cat just sat there and looked at the pig while it ran circles around her. They had met before then during floor time. My cat laid outside of her playpen and the sniffed eachother through the bars. Under strict supervision. The poor cat just didn't know where she was kept till she heard Squeeks begging one day when she heard a bad rattle. Now I just keep the lid on the cage when I'm gone so she doesn't decide to play rough with the piggy.

Well the reason why I am making one is because I recently found my cat sitting in the guinea pig's cage. He was purring and the guinea pig was all snuggled next to him. I think it is cute but you never know when a cat turn around and bite the piggy. And after i kicked him out of the cage her sat and watched the piggy for hours.

cinn&sprinslave said:
Well the reason why I am making one is because I recently found my cat sitting in the guinea pig's cage. He was purring and the guinea pig was all snuggled next to him. I think it is cute but you never know when a cat turn around and bite the piggy. And after i kicked him out of the cage her sat and watched the piggy for hours.[/QUOTE/]

At least they do get along, but you're right that cat's have attitude problems sometimes. I read a bumper sticker the other day that said something about dogs come when they are called and cats have answering machines. I thought that was cute, true, but cute. So I agree with you that you should have a lid...even if it's like I do mine and leave if off when you're home.

Any one else have any suggestions?

Closetmaid shelving, the 16" wide kind, cut to size to fit your cage works great. Just put one piece for the front and one piece for the back (assuming you have a 2 x something cage). Cable-tie them together and plunk it on the top of the cage. If your cage is wierdly shaped or if it has a upper deck like mine, you may have to make your top differently, experimenting until you find a good solution. Hope this helps! =)

mncavylover said:
Closetmaid shelving, the 16" wide kind, cut to size to fit your cage works great. Just put one piece for the front and one piece for the back (assuming you have a 2 x something cage). Cable-tie them together and plunk it on the top of the cage. If your cage is wierdly shaped or if it has a upper deck like mine, you may have to make your top differently, experimenting until you find a good solution. Hope this helps! =)

How much does the shelving cost?

A six foot section of shelving cost me about $10. That only covered a total of five grid spaces, though. It depends on how big your cage is, or how much you want to cover. How much do you want covered?

mncavylover said:
A six foot section of shelving cost me about $10. That only covered a total of five grid spaces, though. It depends on how big your cage is, or how much you want to cover. How much do you want covered?

My cage is 2x4 with 1x2 upper deck I don't want to cover the uppper deck so only 2x3 of the cage I want covered.

Oh I have been meaning to ask you where do you get your hay?

Ok, so if you get, let's say, eight feet of the shelving that should be anywhere from $10-$15 depending on how closely spaced the wires are on the shelving.

mncavylover said:
Ok, so if you get, let's say, eight feet of the shelving that should be anywhere from $10-$15 depending on how closely spaced the wires are on the shelving.
Ok that should work out great, I was going to do a screened frame but that would be $20 this is a lot cheaper.

Ok, great! Good luck! =)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.