Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hay Rack Help!

beccapooka

Cavy Slave
I have looked through *all* the pictures on this site, but I'm still not happy with my hay rack choices. I think that the bent cube ideas are good, but my GPs are babys (1 1/2 months old) and I don't want them to get their heads stuck.

I would like something that they can't get into because they poop in their hay as readily as anywhere else. I would also like something that they can get the hay out of easily enough to eat it, but not so easily that they pull it all out. Right now I have a small rectangular shower caddy fastened to the cage with cable ties, but because they eat from the open side they often pull it all down and it makes a big mess. I'd really just like to be able to keep it a little bit more contained if at all possible.

A tall order, huh? If anyone has any ideas, let me know.

Rebecca

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
You can use a kleenex box to keep the hay in. That way, they can't get stuck in it. And if it gets really gross, you can always throw it out and get a new one. Got the idea from one of the other posts on this site. Oh, and you can always put it in a ceramic basket or something so they don't really get into it. Good luck! =)

LiciaMommycott

Cavy Slave
I have a hay rack that attaches to the outside of the cage. It works pretty well but in the end I just filled up one of my lofts with hay and they go up to get it. It's ended up being the cleanest spot in the cage because they barely poop or pee up there. There are a few poops but they don't seem to care.

ChadWPB

Cavy Slave
mncavylover said:
You can use a kleenex box to keep the hay in. That way, they can't get stuck in it. And if it gets really gross, you can always throw it out and get a new one. Got the idea from one of the other posts on this site. Oh, and you can always put it in a ceramic basket or something so they don't really get into it. Good luck! =)
It was probably my post.

The kleenex boxes are great! They keep the hay clean and fresh and our pigs push them around. A toy and snack bar in one!

In fact, check out the CavyCages toy page and look for a pic of a Peruvian next to a kleenex box full of hay. That's our little Amee!

Piglet

Cavy Slave
amee is such a darling! She's gorgeous.

My Baby Mu

Cavy Slave
You can put it in a CD holder. That is what mine has.

TinaFabulous
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
ChadWPB said:
The kleenex boxes are great!
can the pigs really reach in and get all the hay out?

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
Oh yeah, sure they can! If you get the pull-up kind (the one just with the rectangular hole on top), make sure you tear out all of the plastic and tear a larger hole for them. Otherwise, they're awesome! Chad, Amee is beautiful, as are all your pigs!

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
mncavylover said:
Oh yeah, sure they can! If you get the pull-up kind (the one just with the rectangular hole on top), make sure you tear out all of the plastic and tear a larger hole for them. Otherwise, they're awesome! Chad, Amee is beautiful, as are all your pigs!
ok, thanks for replying

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
Yep, no problem. Tell me how it's working when you get the pigs!!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.