Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Coquito is going to the vet this week.

cavypaulita

Cavy Slave
Hi..
I am writing because as a piggy mom I am worried.
Yesterday I was holding Coquito, and we noticed he had a small lump/bump on one of his sides. He is eating as always, active, hungry, if you look at him, he's the active naughty piggy he always is.
But I got worried. I searched in Guinea Lynx, read that it could be a cyst, abscess (sp?), or something like that, and that in many cases it is pretty harmless and treatable. I read everything there but there are so many cases that it is a bit confusing and scary to read.
I called the vet today, and told him about it, and he told me that it could be a cyst too, and that we should have it checked out, but that it is treatable. He told me not to worry so much, that he's going to see what it truly is, and treat it, but reassured me that it is treatable.
I wanted to share this. I *ADORE* Coquito and I can't stand the thought of something happening to him. He's only a year old. Has any of you had any experience with this kind of thing?
When I touch it, he doesn't even complain, it's just as those sebaceous cysts that human beings sometimes have. (in appearance). I touch it and it is as a small ball.
The vet said that it is easily treatable. I will feel better once he sees it and can tell me how to treat this.
It's good that Coquito is so hungry as always, acting normal, wheeking, drinking, running, everything normal, right?

Just a worried piggy mom.

Pauli

katiecavyNC

Cavy Slave
I hope it turns out to be nothing serious! Keep us posted.

daftscotslass

Cavy Slave
Fingers crossed everything goes OK at the vet, I'm sure it will!

cavypaulita

Cavy Slave
thank you for the good wishes.
I've just examined Coquito again.
He kept eating lettuce while I separated the hair where this is, and pressed on it. He doesn't show any pain at all. I pressed hard, and he continued eating and wasn't bothered at all. I don't know if this is a good sign or what. Right now he's playing around. He is his usual happy, active self. But I'm scared for him. What can I expect a vet to do?
I touched this to see if it moved, and it moves if I move the skin, it looks as though it is attached to the skin, but I am not sure. It's the size of a small pea.

I have to call the vet tomorrow to confirm the appt.

I'll let you know what happens.
Please send positive vibes for my dear Coquito.

Pauli

JennG

Cavy Slave
Good luck! Mama had a bump on her side when I first got her and we went to the vets. He "popped" it and said it was just a zit. Yuck! Luckily, he put some stuff (please don't ask what it was because it was, like last year) on it to clean it up and she never got it again. I hope this is all that your baby has.

cavypaulita

Cavy Slave
Jenn,
Thank you for your reply. I keep looking at Coquito. Hopefully it is nothing. Would you mind telling me how your pig's lump felt when you touched it? Did it bother her?
I hope it is nothing serious and he doesn't have to undergo surgery to have this removed. I can't wait to take him to the vet so I know.

Thank you,
Pauli

nonamian_girl

Cavy Slave
Aw, I'm sorry to hear that Pauli, I hope everything goes well at the vet.

It sounds like you found it early, so whatever it is, I'm sure it can be treated somehow. Good luck!

cavypaulita

Cavy Slave
Hi,
thanks..
Coquito is popcorning now and so active.
I think that whatever it is, if they have to remove this, he's going to be Ok, because he seems strong, and he has always had an excellent diet...
I'll let you all know what the vet says. I'll have to wait until wed/thurs unfortunately. Today they'll confirm my appt.
I think it is important that he's strong, and eating well, and active, right?
We'll see what happens.
A pigture of Coqui:
Coquito is going to the vet this week.

Thanks, I'll let you know what happens at the vet.
Pauli

Coopdog

Cavy Slave
What a cutie, with his little green chin! Good luck...I'm sure he'll be fine!

JennG

Cavy Slave
It didn't seem to bother her until he started the popping process. It was the size of a pencil eraser, maybe alittle smaller. And when he popped it, it had white goo like a human zit does. Oo, now I don't want to eat lunch. Blech.

tattooyu

Cavy Slave
Currently our boy Splash has a bump very similar to what you describe. It's on his left hindquarters. It also doesn't bother him when it is pressed. We're going to the doctor soon, so we'll let you know what ours turned out to be!

cavypaulita

Cavy Slave
thank you.
I've read a lot on guinea lynx and it says that cysts are common , lipomas, sebaceous cysts, etc, and that everything should be fine.
I'll let you know what my vet says...
Good luck to Splash too!
What Coquito has is also in a similar position, it doesn't seem to bother him at all but it is like a pea in size, quite big. It seems to be attached to his skin. We'll see what happens.

Thank you!
Pauli

cavypaulita

Cavy Slave
Hi !
the earliest appt I could get is for Saturday morning.
I am worried about something - I just hope that this vet is good..
Coquito is so active right now, playful, desperate for food..I am scared of the vet making wrong choices. I'll try to "test" how much he knows somehow before making any decisions..but I'm a bit skeptical. I don't want to cause a problem when otherwise Coquito is well/healthy.
I am a bit scared because I know a person who had a guinea pig that died because the vet made a surgery to this pig and the surgery wasn't necessary. He had nothing, he was healthy. The vet did a surgery on this piggy, (in his mouth/teeth) and after this, he got a really bad infection and no one could save him.
I'm just a bit paranoid. I'll wait and see what the vet says. I read an article he wrote on GP care, and it was Ok I guess, though I don't agree with the life expectancy, he wrote it is 6 years. But the rest is Ok (diet, housing, behaviour).
I'll let you all know what he says.

Pauli

Coopdog

Cavy Slave
The average life expectancy for guinea pigs is 5-7 years, so he's on target there. That's not to say some don't live longer, but 6 years is about average.

cavypaulita

Cavy Slave
ok, that's better. I just hope he's a good vet. I had another one, but he recommended vit drops in the water, etc, and he said that gps should be housed outside and never inside, so I decided to change.
This one, apparently, is better. He seemed a bit more knowledgeable on the phone and I read his resume and article and it seemed good.

Thanks for the clarification!

Pauli

PiggieMom

Cavy Slave
You can always hold off on any major decisions and ask the folks for advice over on guinea lynx for advice. They will tell you if it is normal to treat a something a certain way and the risks or certain surgeries and medications.

cavypaulita

Cavy Slave
HI !
I've just come back from the vet. I wanted to share what happened.
One thing is that I'm sticking with this vet, he is very caring, and has experience and knowledge. We talked a lot about guinea pig care and he is also concerned about the lack of information here in Argentina.. Everything he told me about guinea pigs really made me feel that he knows and I can trust him.
He checked Coquito completely...checked his teeth, heart, temperature..everything. He told me Coquito is very healthy and everything is Ok.
He then checked on the lump. He said that most probable it is a lipoma. He told me to control it and check on it these next weeks. If it grows, we're going to consider doing a biopsy, so we can confirm, but that he is almost positive it is a lipoma. So far we're going to just watch it and wait to see if it grows or stays like this. He said it should stay like this.
Another thing is that he told me to limit Coquito's pellet intake. We weighed him and he weighs over a kilo but said that's ok in a male pig
Anyway, I'll watch this for the next few weeks. If it does grow, he told me about the kind of surgery it would be, andhe told me all about anaesthesia (sp) and his experiences. He has performed many surgeries.
So I'm feeling confident Coquito will be Ok...don't you think?
The vet said Coquito is a very healthy cavy..

Thanks for your help. I'll keep an eye on the lump and see if it grows in the next few days..
But i"m glad I found a good vet.

Thanks!!
Pauli.

Last edited:

PiggieMom

Cavy Slave
I'm glad you found a good vet as well. If Coquito is an adult 1/8-1/4 of a cup of pellets is more than enough. It sounds as if things are looking good. I'm hoping the lump doesn't grow.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.